General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I don't often go on long threads

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 20:17

it is not because I don't like the people on them, or that I would worry about 'interrupting' or being an outsider, or that I think they are "cliquey" or other such nonsense.

It is just that I don't have time or inclination to 'keep up', if I have something to say I'll post and if I don't, I won't :-) That is my way of using the board because it suits me, especially as I can't type for long periods. I really don't mean to be 'aloof' lolol. I am just something of a hermit these days.

I don't worry if few or many people read but don't post on my threads, because I do that too! I don't have much new to say anyway lol, that I haven't said before in the last 12 or so years ( the same goes for my Christmas letter, which I will start soon, it follows the same pattern every year because my life is not full of adventure or travel or anything beyond small pleasures...eg I am chuffed that I have brought in some rosebuds from the garden today and they smell of tea and oranges :-) :-) :-)

Not earth shattering, but the earth is shattering enough imho without any more trauma from me!

It is nice when people do reply of course , if they have found something of enough interest to reply to :-)

This is just a little ramble of thoughts, that this is a site 'of choice' and variety, and generally friendly, where one can still pop back to general from time to time and find something of interest
:-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 20:22

and because Iwas reminded of this line earlier today

"For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?
Seek him always with hours to live. "

from "The Prophet", Kahlil Gibran

"And a youth said, "Speak to us of Friendship."

Your friend is your needs answered.

He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.

And he is your board and your fireside.

For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace.

When your friend speaks his mind you fear not the "nay" in your own mind, nor do you withhold the "ay."

And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart;

For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared, with joy that is unacclaimed.

When you part from your friend, you grieve not;

For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.

And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.

For love that seeks aught but the disclosure of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth: and only the unprofitable is caught.

And let your best be for your friend.

If he must know the ebb of your tide, let him know its flood also.

For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?

Seek him always with hours to live.

For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.

And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.

For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed."

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Nov 2019 20:53

I had not seen that before Rose thank you. I like it

I also like you flitting in and out because I know when I see a post from you that you always have something interesting or of worth to say. <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 21:10

That's kind of you Ann :-) Not sure it's true though. I just ramble from time to time when something comes to me :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Nov 2019 21:13

Thank you for that Rose. I have come across it recently - was it read at the Festival of Remembrance on Saturday? I didn't see the programme at the time so have been watching 10 minutes of it here and there on iPlayer. I particularly remember the last line which I think is beautiful.

I also like you flitting in and out when you feel like it as I know any post from you will be courteous and on my wavelength :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 12 Nov 2019 21:18

Keep flitting, our Rose

Lizxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Nov 2019 21:19

Yes that last line is lovely.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 21:22

I think it may have been Vera, I missed part of the Festival of Remembrance as was on the phone. A friend gave me a copy of 'The Prophet' many years ago and I still have it.

There used to be a thread on here posted by Joy with excerpts from it ... here it is :-)

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/968407?page=0

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 21:23

~~~ Liz :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Nov 2019 21:25

Thanks for the reference to that thread. I'll have a good look through it over the next couple of days.

Island

Island Report 12 Nov 2019 22:08

I struggle to keep up these days due to double vision but do post on the 'daily' threads when I can.

It's good to have 'stand alone' threads to keep the forum fresh and interesting.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 22:11

Sorry to hear you have trouble with your vision Island, it's very trying I know.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Nov 2019 22:12

I like the way you flit in and out, and I always find something iteresting or thought-provoking in what you say.

I also tend not to post on the long threads, or even the daily thread, because it takes so long for me to catch up when I get on here in the late afternoon/early evening UK time!

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 22:40

Sylvia that is the good thing about the internet even though friends/ family may not be awake at the same times you can always leave a message or post sitting there till they're around, and vice versa. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Nov 2019 00:39

Rose .................

true!

Though some years ago I was thrown out of a site because there been a big discussion over something during the UK day time. I went on when they were all in bed, decided I could contribute as I knew more than most of them about the topic ................. and lo and behold, one of them was wide awake at something like 2 am (think she was waiting for her badly behaving 16/17 year old son to get home. He'd been in trouble with the police several times :-( ).

She took complete exception to the fact that I'd posted because "the subject had been sorted out and there was no need for you to open it again!"

I then got mad and asked if there was not free speech on that site, and I had rights too. We had a little barney ;-)

Next morning, I had been locked out.

I was more than a little hurt as I had been specially asked to join them, but decided I didn't need to be on a site where one person could stop someone else posting.

I did get support via emails from others (there were only about 10/12 of us on there), but so far as I was concerned that one person made the group not to my liking.

There was something a little cliquey about it, because 3 of the 4 people who lived in Europe often went to England and usually met up with the 2 or 3 who lived there, especially A who'd got mad with me. And there was a feeling that everyone had to take care of A because she had "problems".

I try to keep out of trouble on here! Especially when there seems to be some sort of problem going on.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Nov 2019 12:32

Their loss Sylvia.

I don't belong to many groups and withdrew from one site yesterday as I felt it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to put sense where there was none lol.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Nov 2019 17:24

Rose ......... I've withdrawn for quite a few sites in the last few months, especially those on FB.