General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tea bags!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 20:43

( I know how to pick a rivetting topic ;-) )

I knew there had to be a reason why they don't rot down in the compost bin, and it was reported on The One Show tonight how many brands use plastic to make the bags. :-0

Sorry worms! I will provide only loose tea leaves from now on :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Nov 2019 20:54

That’s why I prefer loose tea because it doesn’t taste of plastic, hubby likes tea bag tea so we cut them and put the used tea on the garden and the bags in the bin.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 21:07

That's what I ended up doing ZZzzz, I will switch back to loose tea. I don't have it often as I'm a coffee drinker but sometimes a nice cup of tea goes better with cake :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Nov 2019 21:19

We drink a lot of tea and have loose tea because we like it better, but I have considered tea bags recently as the taste has improved. Now you have told me about the plastic I'll stick to the loose stuff.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 12 Nov 2019 21:22

There are companies not using plastic in the bags. They are Clipper and not bad to drink.

Lizx

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 21:29

Hopefully the tea companies will make the effort to avoid using plastic, I must get the tea strainer out of it's hiding place, also I think I still have one of those tea infuser spoons somewhere in a drawer, probably from the 1940s/50s?
:-)

Island

Island Report 12 Nov 2019 21:58

We used to put teabags in the compost - until last year when what looked like furry grey mouse skins started rising to the surface of the raised beds! Then we found out plastic was in them, but why after all these years? Surely the manufacturers should be more clued up in this day and age?

It's quite shocking actually.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 22:04

It is shocking Island, that's a good description of the remains of the bags!

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 22:04

It is shocking Island, that's a good description of the remains of the bags!

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Nov 2019 22:52

That's interesting Joan, they did mention that on the programme. I wonder when they started using plastic, or has it always been used since the advent of the teabag :-(

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Nov 2019 23:01

Our Council have a food bin collection, goes to their own composting place. I put used tea bags in there now, along with any other meat/fish scraps and paper tissues we have used to wipe round greasy pans. Everything else goes on our own compost heap.

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Nov 2019 23:06

Tea made with a tea-bag tastes of tea-bag.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Nov 2019 00:19

remember in our works canteen, YEARS ago, an old dear had a drawstring Tea bag for the tea urn.....

magic!!

Island

Island Report 13 Nov 2019 11:12

Oh no - did she hang it up between brews Bob? :-0 :-0

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Nov 2019 11:24

Speaking of tea bags, I see Boris is causing furore ( according to the DM lol) being seen to pour in the mik before removing the tea bag from the mug...good to know voters are concentrating on the important things ;-)