General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shifting relations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maxwell

Maxwell Report 20 Nov 2019 08:13

Hello, I have just discovered my father in law was not my wife's biological father because she was born illegitimately.
How can I shift her part of the tree so it appears under her correct maiden name?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Nov 2019 08:20

Do you know for a fact that he was not her father?

Some people born illegitimately had parents who later married each other.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Nov 2019 10:06

With Ancestry it is quite easy to edit relationships making large and small changes. Using GR you just have to delete the whole branch record by record and build it up again using the new data.

Gwyn's post is a fair point. I have just recently found a couple in Suffolk who had a baby when the lady was 14 ( back in the C19 ). They eventually got hitched more than 20 years later and managed to maintain contact with their son who grew up under his mother's maiden name.

A rellie was once chief sister of gyne & maternity at a large London hospital. Based on blood tests she reckoned that with 20% of births the father was not the guy on the birth cert.

Island

Island Report 20 Nov 2019 10:16

Can you not just change your wifes birth surname on your tree?
This also begs the question 'blood line or family'?

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Nov 2019 13:39

Or just make sure it clearly noted in the notes section so at least you know on your records.