General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Balls - the festive sort

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kuros

Kuros Report 22 Dec 2019 18:29

I can assume we have now given up on GR turning festive.

Annie

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Dec 2019 19:23

I think so, I signed out and back in again just in case. But it may be due to the changes (released Friday) on the FMP site homepage, as they don't have baubles either.

Von

Von Report 22 Dec 2019 19:36

I don't like the FMP site. Definitely not an improvement :-| :-| :-|

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Dec 2019 19:48

Von, the search is the same, but font and colours different, which has not met with complete approval and for some ( me included) the zoom level I have to have means fewer results are showing per page. I'm nopt impressed with the 'scribble' lol but some seem to like it.

Von

Von Report 22 Dec 2019 19:59

It's the home page I find annoying Rose. Don't like the drop down menus -looks old fashioned to me.
I did discover one thing this year though. When looking for an address on census you can limit the numbers to search by adding the town but removing the county that follows by default.
Then you add the county in the box below.
Solved a lot of frustration with my Welsh searches :-D
BTW - nothing to do with the thread but I thought of you today as my borage is in flower ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Dec 2019 20:47

Glad to hear something is flowering Von :-) Garden is looking a bit damp at the moment, but still very green .

I suppose we will get used to the change on FMP as we always have to :-) other than the tinkering about I do like FMP and await the 1921 census release to see what grandfather was up to !

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Dec 2019 00:30

Rose, I'm so glad I read your last post. It must be a senior thing but I'd completely forgotten that it won't be too long now before the 1921 census is released (hopefully!).

Kath. x

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 23 Dec 2019 16:28

I'm not overly impressed with the new homepage either :-(

Perhaps us crumblies just don't like change LOL :-D

One thing I've noticed with the 1939 Register on FMP is that it is much more up to date than Ancestry, for instance my Aunt who was born in 1921 and died in 2017 appears on FMP but is stilled closed on Ancestry. So if anyone is looking for someone on the Register on Ancestry it may be worth while asking for a look up on FMP :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Dec 2019 17:23

Von, early 2022 is the expected date for release all being well :-)

TinkleBelle I think FMP are updating the 1939 much more frequently than Ancestry, it does help a lot :-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Dec 2019 23:00

See the other thread..no one requested the Baubles in time for GR to put them up it seems....cos who knew when Christmas might fall this year!! :-S :-(

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 24 Dec 2019 12:54

its never the same day of the week, is it??

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Dec 2019 13:39

maybe time zones affect it too....

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 24 Dec 2019 18:04

maybe next year we will get some :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Dec 2019 18:42

Only if we remind them they said.

PiersfromKent

PiersfromKent Report 24 Dec 2019 18:48

Crikey, fancy having to send a reminder lol.