General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Right Decision

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jan 2020 14:30

Linda Robson has been on Loose Women talking about the reaction she had to medication prescribed for her plot loss.

Having spent a lot of my teens on tranquilizers because I could not cope with the abuse from my narcissistic mother, I chose to do it without medication and I am so glad I did.

She has been through OCD brought on by her prescribed drugs for which more medication was given because the medical profession really only have time to throw pills and, as she said, private health care prescribes because they can afford to.

I drank tea, his id the corner of the sofa and knitted dishcloths. It has taken a very long time but the tea-pot, sofa and knitting needles are all still here and I don't need weaning off them and I am selling the dishcloths.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Jan 2020 16:09

Good for you Sharron.
I cant take any painkillers because of my asthma but before I could, when I had a severe migraine, I would always choose a natural remedy over medication. Ie a heat wrap or menthyl crystals etc.

I do sometimes wonder if drs have a target to meet when dishing out meds.
By finding a distraction or hobby like knitting the dishcloths, you managed Sharron to train your brain away from wanting meds.

When people say they cant give up smoking, I disagree with them. Firstly you have to want to give up. Once you have made that decision then that's the hard work done.When I was smoking, I always said when I want to, I will give up no bother but at that time I didn't want to.
In 2007 I was rushed to hospital struggling to breathe with pneumonia. I decided when I came home, I was no longer gonna be a smoker. Threw the fags in the bin and got on with my life. No withdrawel symptons at all. Why? because I told myself I didn't need or want the cigarettes.
So medication in some ways is similar. Fags are an addiction but only if you let them be.

Of course there will be people who disagree but Sharron, you have proved finding an alternative to meds can be done.
Well done

Florence in the hebrides

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Jan 2020 20:19

You are right there, Florence, When I packed up just after Christmas '78
I made the decision NOT to buy any more...the family had bought me the essentials for Christmas.and......

I smoked that lot and never smoked again .......

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Jan 2020 20:34

Good for you Bob, well done :-D

Florence in the hebrides

Von

Von Report 10 Jan 2020 20:52

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/feb/23/the-calming-effects-of-sewing-can-help-people-express-and-calm-themselves?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR103Gy5r9Lt1I0kmG0kJwJSc7LBf2QXOMu-BfZGLalczez_4gfjyszltwo
Interesting article here.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Jan 2020 23:33

Very interesting article Von. Ty for that

Florence in the hebrides