General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Windows 7 finishing ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 13 Jan 2020 11:34

Still have Windows 7 need a laptop so will it be easy to get Windows 10 on it what will happen to all my Windows 7 stuff on old comp Thank You

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jan 2020 11:58

I think you will lose it Barbra unless you can save it to an external disc drive. You need to ask in Currys for advice. Maybe if you buy the laptop from them they will have a way of transferring information. I managed to save a lot of mine or my OH did but I still lost a few bits.

Barbra

Barbra Report 13 Jan 2020 12:12

Thank you Ann will ask in store see if can help going in on Thursday Barbara

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Jan 2020 12:17

surely whatever is on the hard drive, stays there?

the computer itself will still function....??

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Jan 2020 12:22

Get an 8gb USB stick and save everything on there or get someone to do that for you.Can you not just update the comp to windows 10? Surely you don't need to buy another comp?

Florence in the hebrides

Barbra

Barbra Report 13 Jan 2020 12:39

Hello Florence I have a dongle I call it so could as you say download .got some money for Christmas so was going to have a look for new laptop my old comp works but is slow .this Window ten is worrying me don't know why not up with new tech. Just want to switch on & go .don't want to lose my data though from way back .Hello Bob .think will talk to someone before buying new one Thank you All xx

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jan 2020 13:34

Windows 10 is far more efficient than Windows 7. One of the effects of this is that it will run just fine on lots of elderly computers although Currys and others will claim the opposite.

Go to the Microsoft site which has an app which will check out if yr computer is capable of running Windows 10. If it says ok then just upgrade it online.
Be aware though that it can take quite a long time.

Upgrade for free

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/you-can-still-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-heres-how/

Barbra

Barbra Report 13 Jan 2020 14:46

Thank You it can be expensive buying new Laptop so will try Rollo as you suggest :-)

Linda

Linda Report 13 Jan 2020 18:49

how long does it take to download please Rollo

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jan 2020 19:13

Downloading the Downdload Tool is very quick.
After that it depends on the speed of your connection and the power of the computer, There will be multiple restarts and quite long intervals when nothing much seems to happen.

On an old CoreDuo system with 4 GB RAM and a 32 Mbit.sec connexion 4 hours and up for the whole process would not be unusual. A nice frisky i5 with 8 MB and a 200 Mb/sec cable connection night get through in lees than an hour.

It is best not to use wifi - connect the PC directly to the router with Cat5 or Cat 6 cable from eBay. The ISP may have given you a short cable but longer ones (more convenient) are as cheap as chips on eBay.

It is imperative that the BIOS clock is correctly set before starting the process. Although Win10 is happy with AMD "A" series CPU and CoreDuo CPU it will only run an a small list of Pentiums which are never seen in laptops..

Linda

Linda Report 13 Jan 2020 19:16

Thank you Rollo

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jan 2020 17:13

What do you suggest for a computer that is still on XP? Rollo, it wont access the internet at all..

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Jan 2020 17:32

Some people are always late to the party.
It is not possible to UG from XP to Windows 10 in place you have to do a clean install.
Whether it is worth the trouble depends on yr PC configuration - memory, hard drive (type, size ) CPU and chip set.
If it supports SATA2 HD and DDR3 memory or better, Intel CoreDuo cpu then it is worth giving it a whirl. Cheapest Windows 10 on a USB stick OEM licence ( not trans to other computers) around £ 30 eBay/Amazon.
Otherwise could be the end of the line.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Jan 2020 18:12

Running Windows 7 will encounter problems along the way as on the 1st Jan 2020 Windows7 ceased support and up-dates to your systems.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Jan 2020 18:53

That's what I thought, Rollo...it DOES have a lot of stuff on the hard drive....(my wife hasn't used it for a couple of years now)...Lost interest in FTM etc....

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Jan 2020 20:12

Microsoft will go on issuing security updates for Windows 7 for years as they did for XP. "unsupported" just means the end of expensive support contracts for Corporates it has little immediate effect on Smes and private people.

However Win10 is a much better os than Win7 and people will be well advised to consider it.