General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

********Hello********

Page 9 + 1 of 21

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Jul 2020 13:01

Sorry Barbra, leaving you talking to yourself. We have just been shopping in local Tesco then went for a coffee at the golf club sitting outside with nobody else around. Nice in the sunshine. Monday was the hospital appointment re the small place on my face which is, as I guessed a BCC(Basal Cell Carcinoma), sounds more frightening than it is, this is the first on my face but is about at least the 15th on my body. They are non malignant and it will be removed around October, leaving the next two months free as we have two visits booked.

A few months back Barbra I went to the doctor with palpitations and not feeling I was breathing properly. I guessed it might be panic attacks and, after ECG, BP and blood tests there was nothing wrong so he agreed with me and it rarely happens now. When it does I practice breathing slowly and talk myself out of it. Half the battle is knowing.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 31 Jul 2020 18:09

Well what a blowy day and not a sight of the sun at all.
Supposed to be 18 degrees here today but was more like 12. think we must be the only place(as usual) who is not enjoying sunshine!

So indoors all day and officially we are not in lockdown anymore but im in no hurry to use a bus as from Tues next week, full normal timetable and no self distancing on the bus as it will be full up.They only run every 2 hours...But it would be nice to get out in the garden and attend to my flower pots. My poor roses have gone over 3 times now but they need a really large pot. Ill have to look online for one.

Hope everyone else is ok and still staying safe.

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Jul 2020 20:21

Hello Florence, the opposite of your weather today. 32 degrees and unpleasantly humid. Shame about your pots maybe you will soon be able to get bigger ones.

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Aug 2020 11:57

Hello All hope your ok we had a storm round here Friday not forecast electric went of twice no TV reception for a while but didn't last long managed to watch Coronation Street The Geoff Saga seems to be dragging on. Paula Wilcox in it now as x wife of Geoff .remember her from The Lovers with Late Richard Beckinsale tragic he died so young right .enjoy your Weekend Take Care Barbara

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 1 Aug 2020 12:07

Happy Yorkshire Day everyone.

Not the best of days today, the sun has gone away now, it was an awful night, thunder & lightening & sooo much rain.
I hate storms, I couldn't get back to sleep for a long while after it was over.

Hope everyone is well.

Joan,

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 Aug 2020 12:38

Hello Joan .Ann G .Florence Liz .anyone else looks in sunny when I got up .raining again now .garden looks well all the showers & then sunshine hope you had a nice weekend .Sunday roast Joan I am waiting for hospital appointment when that will be goodness knows. Covid 19 not to bad up here but they have back log of patients Take Care enjoy your week .Bye For Now Barbara :-)

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 3 Aug 2020 16:21

Hi~~~~~~

Not a bad day today, sunny just now, it's been in & out for most of the day, not had any rain today, so far!
Our eldest son has come over from near Inverness to lop branches off some of our trees, they are over hanging rather a lot & making part of the house road very dark, also the branches get in the way of the oil tanker when we need the Heating oil filled up. Looking a lot tidier now.

Barbara.... we didn't have a roast on Sunday, I had thought we would have Brisket but hubby requested Toad in the Hole, so that's what we had along with several veggies, & Roast potatoes, it was lovely, the Yks pud part of it rose to the top of the oven! thought I might not get it out, lol.

Did some baking on Saturday, Mince Pies & Rock cakes, our grandaughter (aged 8) came over to help me, she loves to bake, she did a lot of it as well, rolling out the patry, putting in the mincemeat, sticking on the lids & making a wee hole in the tops.
She did the measuring of the ingredients for the Rock Cakes, she loved it.
Our son has got some of each to take back home.

Off to make our tea soon, can't decide on what to have, probably have a fry up today, bacon, eggs tomatoes.

Joan.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Aug 2020 16:33

Hello all. a lovely sunny day here, 20 degrees at the moment so very pleasant. OH has been out in the garden pruning (he says) won't be anything left soon I shall have to confiscate his secateurs.
We had a lovely roast chicken dinner last night with roast potatoes that were really crip, sugar snap peas, purple sprouting broccoli, asparagus and roast carrots. Tonight is cold chicken and chips.

Sounds as if your son has done a good job on the trees Joan and how lovely to have a little helper with the baking. :-) :-)

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 4 Aug 2020 11:37

Well what a busy hour or so that was!

Went to cupboard to get some Lentils to make Lentil & bacon Soup, on taking out the container I noticed the top shelf (wall cupboard) was leaning backwards, called hubby to take a look & he said he would see what he could do with it.

So out came ALL the various Lock & Lock containers so hubby can sort the wavey shelf!
That's when I decided to have a look through them all & see what was waaaay past it's use by date, not too much to get rid of thank goodness,the containers have had a spring clean & the cupboard as well.
Hubby fixed the problem & everything is now back in place, all that work because i went into the cupboard for Lentils! LOL.

Good job done though, feeling rather pleased with myself.

Joan.

Barbra

Barbra Report 4 Aug 2020 12:48

There you go nice & clean shelves now .Good to see you having a helper when you were baking start them young x my oh always checks our food cupboards he is a pain but saying that saves me throwing stuff out can't reach top cupboard lost some height only 5ft 2 ins now will be as wide as high :-D mince & mash peas for lunch then a sandwich later .that's me sorted Enjoy your day Take Care All Bye for now Barbara <3 raining for a change x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Aug 2020 16:19

our house smells of vinegar as i made some cucumber and onion relish earlier, it had peppers in the recipe but Oh is not keen on them so I adjusted it and left them out. I have not made this one before so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

We have chicken curry made with the cold roast chicken left over on Sunday for our meal tonight.

Barbra

Barbra Report 8 Aug 2020 15:33

Beautiful day here it is lovely & warm had my hair cut I Feel pretty well look a lot better .had to sighn a consent form saying about Covid. Hairdresser not responsible if I get Covid 19 track & trace .hope all okay whoever look in Enjoy your week end Barbara

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 8 Aug 2020 16:29

Hi to all.

Lovely day here too Barbara, had a run of very nice days, makes such a difference when one can sit outside & have all the house windows & doors open for the day.

i don't care for it when it's too hot but i do like to see the sunny days, just wish I could get to go somewhere other than the garden! not been into a shop since about February & I'm feeling somewhat down about that!

I feel well enough to do the weekly shop with hubby now BUT I am not wearing a mask! I get claustrophobic & a mask would send me into a panic!
i had a problem wearing an Oxygen mask when in the hospital recently & that was helping me! I had to take it off after just a few minutes & go back to the nose one!

I don't even like doors closed in the house, especially the bedroom door, so until the mask wearing is lifted i will have to stay home, not sure about exemption procedure, don't think Drs are providing anything to show to others out there!

Just making tea, Lasagne today, cheating with a ready made one!! not something we have very often but fancied a change.

Joan.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Aug 2020 17:46

Joan I am not sure if this is in operation in Scotland but it is worth looking into. Called the hidden disabilities sunflower lanyard scheme. (Not sure where you get them from, I think in England Sainsburys among other places). You can google it but it is a lanyard that you wear to explain that you have a reason for not wearing a mask. What you explained you would feel is covered by it.

Too hot here today to go out in the garden, it is still around 30 but hopefully will cool off soon.

Pleased that you have had your hair done Barbra.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 8 Aug 2020 18:53

Hi Ann, yes I have heard about the Sunflower lanyard scheme, but, if they are only to be found in Sainsburys then I can't get hold of one as there is no Sainsburys near me, one in Aberdeen but that's too far away!

I am seeing my Dr on friday & thought I would ask him what the situation is regarding exemptions, not holding out much hope of getting any paperwork for it though!

I don't envy you such heat, not sure what temp it was here but it was rather hot! only sitting in the garden not able for actual gardening work just yet, so wanting to get my hands on the shears etc.

Joan.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Aug 2020 01:42

Hi all

It's been scorching here most of the week, so all the windows have been open to get some airflow. Shame I have been so knocked out to get outside, I have slept through most days with the fan on.

I think I am getting more depressed, feeling my life is just drifting away. I have good intentions to get out but feel too tired to drive. Going out with o.h. Is no pleasure, I want to go to different places to him and he gets flustered unless he's just going back and forth to places he knows. He doesn't cope well with the sat nav or me giving directions. He is hoping to visit his father soon but the care home are slow in arranging appointments. His son, d.i.l. and grandkids came to N. Norfolk for a week at the beginning of the month so we met up with them in a nearby park for a couple of hours to break their journey. We had hadn't seen d.i.l. and granddaughter since our car accident visit over two years ago. Son and grandson visited a couple of times before lockdown but we were surprised to see how big they are! Granddaughter is coming up to 10 at the end of October, she is now sporting pierced ears and a mobile phone and is incredibly saucy. Her dad lets her get away with murder and her Mum admits she "caves in" to every demand as she is having to work from home (as is dad) while trying to home school.. .Granddaughter is rebelling against learning and it's obvious her reading level is poor.. Apparently she distracts grandson from knuckling down to lessons so things have gone downhill. Gdaughter was already having problems at school before lockdown. It's very worrying and things will not get easier in September as daughter will probably kick off if school reopens. She still won't sleep in her own bed (I was told it's a work in progress which is what it's been for years) so life must never hard for d.i.l. who does the majority of parenting as son often works away.
Heaven knows when we will see them again!I. The closeness we had seems different too, they have never been encouraged to call their grandad between our visits to them but because we used to go down every few months it wasn't so bad. Now there's no way either of us will want to drive so far and spend hundreds of pounds for hotel rooms.so we will see less and less of them.

Luckily my son is doing ok. He and his fiancee have had time off from working at home so have gone out for days to less busy beaches. Son has been fencing their garden and made a brilliant gate so now time for landscaping. .He texts, messages, or calls me every few days which is nice.

I hope everyone has good days ahead, it's cooler now so maybe I can find a little energy soon. Take care, stay well/get well and enjoy life as much as possible in these strange times.

Lizxx

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Aug 2020 13:54

Joan just read Sunflower Badges in Tesco Morrison's Sainsbury's. You dont need a mask iif you get one. hope you are all okay lovely day again Barbara :-) Liz xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Aug 2020 15:03

Sorry Joan I gave Sainsburys as an example which is why I said you can google them, it says where they are available on line. I don't think you can get a piece of paper saying you are exempt, however it may be different up there. I am pretty sure that exemptions include people with breathing problems, COPD, panic attacks and other so, if you can get a lanyard nobody is supposed to be able to challenge you and you have no need to give an explanation.
Liz, sorry you are feeling down. Shame that you will see less of OH's family but concentrate on the positives and how close you are to your son.

I did an hour tidying up in the garden, dead heading, weeding etc but the sun has come out now and it is 22 degrees out there now and too hot for gardening.
roast chicken for tonight with french beans, tender stem broccoli, new potatoes and runner beans and baby carrots from the garden.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Aug 2020 16:29

Actually Joan, worth remembering that nobody is entitled to ask questions, although I suppose some shops may ask at the door. again not sure of the rules up there.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Aug 2020 20:11

Good evening peeps.
Lovely day here and i managed out for a walk earlier, although in the shade the wind was quite chilly.

Re the wearing of face masks in shops, many supermarkets are not forcing/asking people to wear them because they are afraid of confrontation. They cannot force someone to wear one nor do they have the right to question them about their health.

So if you are Asthmatic like me, the shopkeeper really has to accept that. Of course anyone can say that, but the shop keeper cant challenge them either.

The police dont want to be called to shops every 5 minutes either as they have more important things to deal with like accidents and drugs etc.

They could refuse you entry to their shop but then if the customer starts and causes an argument what can they do?

I wish something could be done about all the people who today were packed on the beaches like sardines. I have seen pictures of rediculous parking from the south of England to the Highlands of Scotland and they dont care.

Just today yet another camper van has left a village here and dumped their waste in a puddle including faeces!! yes so disgusting isnt it and they have no shame.

Catching them dumping and their reg number is proving difficult and without their reg number, they cant be traced and reported.

I also heard that if people dont take self distancing more seriously, then we will all be back in lockdown by September, which is a depressing thought as im making my first trip on wed away from the house on a bus!

Ann & Joan, your dinners sounded delicious. Im on a diet so had sardines on toast!

Stay safe everyone

Florence in the hebrides