General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

********Hello********

Page 1 + 1 of 19

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Oct 2020 12:27

Joan you use to get a scratch card on your shopping trips & won as well do you not bother now ? Hope you got all your messages as they say up here x Barbara

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 22 Oct 2020 12:20

Hi Ann, it was very scary, no we don't have street lights being surrounded by fields & it was a very dark night, we could see a light in the distance but too far away to benefit us,lol, think it was over where the village is, that part of the area is on a different line so wasn't off.

Usually the torch kept at the bedside serves us well but unfortunately it went off soon after getting to the bathroom! if it had stayed on we would have been ok.

The Tea Lights are fine & usually only used in the living room when power goes off but on this occasion things were different & we needed some kind of light in the bedroom, I was panicking at being in the dark, I felt trapped, I managed eventually to feel my way to the spare room & open the window in the spare bedroom so that I could breathe easier!!

The tea lights sit in class holders & are safe enough, the best place for them is on the widowsill & as the windows are large bays with a 3foot window sills they are no where near the curtains which we drew back anyway..

Been out shopping today, we went very early (8-15) & it was nice & quiet, going early means we don't have to queue at the door, we can't stand for long periods & it's too cold to wait outside in a queue!

Joan.

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Oct 2020 11:30

Not a fan of candles myself we have torches & candles with batteries not real flame. After saying don't like candles these are safer hope you all okay today fine just now rain later Bye Barbara xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Oct 2020 08:42

Oh that was scary for you Joan as I imagine that you have no ambient light outside the house such as street lights etc. Tea lights in glass tumbler type containers will be safe enough. what do you have handy to light them with though? You can get solar type lights, small ones for indoors. We have a couple, some you can stick onto a surface such as a cupboard. Some need batteries I have one still in the packet in front of me you can't use rechargeable batteries with this one. It is called LED touch light. Might be good to look out for something similar, they are not expensive.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 22 Oct 2020 07:46

Hi Liz, We have had various types of torches over the years & all have stopped working in a short space of time, we have 1 rechargable atm & that is a replacement for one that soon stopped working, it stopped taking a charge.
The torch that let us down the other night is a very expensive one but has not had much use, hubby found that it was the bulb that had blown & has put in a new one.

The wee lights that I have put into the bedroom & bathroom are those wee Tea Lights so they don't stand tall, & they sit in little holders.& are fine to let me find my way should we have another power cut during the night.

We have to use candles or tea lights if the power goes off in the early evenings during the winter time otherwise we would be sitting in the dark!

Joan.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Oct 2020 01:38

Hi Joan and all

Joan, it worries me that you have candles etc ready for possible further power cuts.

Why not get another torch for your side of the bed and one in the bathroom in case you get ' taken short ' by a power cut while on the throne? You could get a rechargeable torch or a rechargeable work light. So much safer than candles if you are a bit unsteady in pitch darkness.

Still wet here, oh for some dry days.

Stay safe everyone

Lizxx

Barbra

Barbra Report 21 Oct 2020 22:17

Hello Joan good to see you posting must have been awful electric going off hope it doesn't happen again x Stay safe & warm Barbara Good night x

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 21 Oct 2020 21:42

Hi everyone, sorry to have worried you by not posting.
I am fine just not had anything exciting to say, lol, weather is rather dreary so not been outdoors to finish off the garden, lot's of leaves have come down but they are rather wet making it difficult to sweep them up, hoping they will dry up soon so we can get them swept up & away.

Have been doing a bit of Christmas shopping (via my catalogue) for the grandchildrens presents, also some birthday gifts for the same grandchildren,their birthdays all happening around the same time!

Last night was a bit different!! we had a power cut at 2-30 AM, what a scary time that was!
I woke at around 3-00 needing the bathroom but it was pitch black, managed to wake hubby & get the torch from his side of the bed, got to the bathroom but the torch went off! I had a very difficult time finding my way back to the bedroom as it was sooo dark, we couldn't get the torch working (in the dark) & so hubby bravely went douwnstairs VERY slowly to get some candles, he's not good on the stairs in daylight so going down them in the dark was worrying.

I was in a right state, as it was so dark & couldn't see anything & scared to move around I felt so claustraphobic!
Hubby lit a tea light that he managed to find on the mantlepiece & phoned the electric place to find out the problem, they weren't sure but did say it would be about 6-00AM before the power would be back on!

I was sitting on the edge of the bed having a panic attack but as soon as hubby got back upstairs with candles I calmed down a bit!
He lit some candles in the bedroom & bathroom, & we waited for the power to come on hoping we mght get back to sleep, we didn't, at 4-30am the power came on but only to go off again for another 1/2 hour.

We now have several tealights & lighters dotted around just incae it happens again.

Iwouldn't care but there was no wind, no storm, we have had some nasty nights recently & the power hasn't flickered! hope it doesn't happen again for a while at least & preferably during the day!

Shopping tomorrow so we shall get some "fresh air" at the same time.
Hope all is well with you all, & Florence, well done with the driving.

Joan.

Barbra

Barbra Report 21 Oct 2020 17:58

Thank You Ann not being tight as appreciate delivery but it mounts up over a few months . :-) both do a twirl now show off your hairdoes x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Oct 2020 16:41

Hello all. Barbra Tesco delivery is £4.50. Nasty wet day here. We have both had our hair cut so feel better for that. Not done anything else today other than that.

Barbra

Barbra Report 21 Oct 2020 16:28

Hello Liz Florence Ann G Joan if you look in hope u are all okay your driving will be okay Florence one day at a time eh x Flu jab 5th November now 2nd Dumfries Hospital ENT Department only been waiting since February. hope they can help fed up of deafness & dizzy feeling x that's my news .wet dull here again not going out as got shopping delivered have you noticed how delivery prices have gone up don't know if it affects you £6.50 Asda a bit steep me thinks ? Just having a crumpets for tea not Hungary nice with plenty of butter on x right Ladies stay warm & safe Barbara xx :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Oct 2020 10:58

Hi Florence. Wow you are organised! I did think I would start my cards early this year which means in a couple of weeks time I think.

I hope Joan is ok. It's worrying when we don't see people posting.

To everyone, stay strong and positive. Thanks for the support you all give.

Lizxx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Oct 2020 10:31

Good morning from a very wet & wild place today. Ferries are cancelled possibly til Friday! Not venturing out to garage today as it just too awful.

Daughter went on bus to town and although bus stops outside the house, she was soaked in minutes poor soul.

Def a days for indoors today. Finish off xmas cards and wrapping some gifts.

Still not heard if im allowed back to work next Monday. NS is making some new announcements about tiers and lockdowns so have to wait & see what she says.

Havent seen Joan or Ann for a wee while.Hope you are ok and Liz and Barbara.

Stay safe peeps

Florence in the hebrides

Barbra

Barbra Report 20 Oct 2020 20:22

I'm famous ;-) only as a bit windy x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Oct 2020 18:56

Evening folks. Well there is a storm blowing here and guess what it is called? Well it's Barbara, so you are famous up here today..lol
Earlier in the afternoon, I managed to start the car again and did indeed drive down to the church about 2 miles away. I turned and drove back. Went ok but for the squeaks and rattles the car was making. Tomorrow, gonna drive out of the village onto the main rd and to the local garage to fill with diesel...

Feel better today and not so nervous. Think Im more nervous about the car conking out and not restarting but heres hoping we are up & running now.

Hope everyone else is fine & ok.

The nights have fairly crept in now and its dark before 7pm! Winter is definately here.
Spent the rest of the afternoon writing xmas cards and wrapping the gifts. It pays to be organised as we dont know whats around the corner at the moment do we!
Stay safe all

Florence in the hebrides

Barbra

Barbra Report 20 Oct 2020 09:35

Good morning good news Florence you should be fine good luck We'res Joan haven't seen her about lately Ann Liz A damp day again not light yet right Take Care keep warm Barbara :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Oct 2020 00:10

Evening folks..well nearly tomorrow but better late than never lol.

Today I am so pleased with myself as I started the car and after awhile, I drove out of my drive, along the rd just 3 houses past and then turned up to the community centre. My daughter came with me for moral support.

When I reached the top of the road, I turned the around then sat a few minutes before driving down, out onto the rd before turning back into my drive.

I managed to reverse the car and then sat outside the house feeling just a little pleased .

I stopped driving on the 25 Sep last year! Today was baby steps and tomorrow, I shall repeat today but may try driving past my house and a mile down the rd is a church with a large car park so i can turn around in there.
Neighbour charged my battery 2 weeks ago but was sluggish in starting. It really needs a good 20 mile run to town and back to get it fully charged.

My target will be to be able to drive the 10 miles to town by Saturday as once i have achieved this, I shall be fine.

Just need to build a bit of confidence. I was shaking when i came back in the house, but a cuppa helped and i was fine.

Glad you got the tap sorted liz, you will be relieved at that.
Barbara, good luck with OH xray.

Hope everyone else is ok. Hope your face is healing Ann.

Gosh its now tomorrow so that's its folks off to bed

Florence in the hebrides

Barbra

Barbra Report 19 Oct 2020 13:06

Hello anyone looks in not been to good over the Weekend Vertigo playing up feel better today Thank goodness a dull dank day hope you enjoyed your weekend Liz hello seen u posting hope your alright xx another week in front of us oh X-ray Tuesday on his back right you lovely lot Take Care :-) <3 Barbara x

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Oct 2020 11:44

You too Barbara and all.

The chap doing the community garden came to collect the hazel trees and some grasses and other bits. It was pouring with rain ( what a surprise) but he soon got them into bags and off for replanting.

Partner seems to have fixed the hot tap on the bath. Hopefully it will stay fixed!

It's raining again, I am still hoping for some dry sunny weather, am I dreaming?

Take care everybody

Lizxx

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Oct 2020 17:07

Hello folks if you look in Enjoy your week end stay warm stay safe Barbara x