General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tea is in the cone.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Feb 2020 18:35

OH and I will persevere and eat almost anything we have produced. How ever big the mistake, it is normally salvageable with another Oxo, drop of wine, slug of cream, soy sauce or mucho garlic.

When I was doing my Tesco order, I decided to avail myself of the offers and do some Quorn fillets in Chicken Tonight honey and mustard.

Fresh veg prepped,fillets browned, I opened the jar and tipped it in. Eugh! It would be more suited to ice-cream sauce and we just could not make it palatable.

You know how tight I am. It has been quite traumatic!

Island

Island Report 25 Feb 2020 19:08

choc sauce, a handful of sprinkles and a couple of waffas would have sorted it.

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Feb 2020 19:14

It was sweeter than chocolate sauce.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 25 Feb 2020 19:31

I must admit it is many years since I used Chicken Tonight honey and mustard sauce to cook the chicken, but it used to be one of our favourite family meals. Maybe the recipe has changed ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Feb 2020 19:51

The ingredients start with water, naturally, then carrot and next is sugar The honey and mustard come quite a long way down the list.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Feb 2020 23:28

I've never tried it.
I'm quite glad now! :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Feb 2020 23:53

I love Chicken Tonight Honey and mustard sauce - even though I hate honey! We have it quite regularly.

I do have a very sweet tooth though.

Kath. x

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Feb 2020 02:00

Maybe I picked up a dodgy one but it really was horrible.

Honestly, I wasn't saying it to pretend I had a sophisticated palate, not when I am addicted to pickled onions!

I won't ever know if it was dodgy though because I am not going to try another.

Island

Island Report 26 Feb 2020 11:35

I only suggested the choc sauce as a decorative distraction not as a flavour enhancer :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 26 Feb 2020 12:39

Have a look at the SELL BY DATE on the jar.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Feb 2020 14:37

It is about two years within sell by date.

The third ingredient on the list is sugar. I would not be putting sugar in savoury sauce I was making at home.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Feb 2020 16:07

We do use chicken tonight sauces in the slow cooker but not that one as OH doesn't like mustard and I have to watch sugar intake. We like the mushroom one and the Spanish one.

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 3 Mar 2020 12:47

It could be the Quorn fillets - I tried them once and never again - they ruined the sauce i put them in. The seagulls had a good meal the next day.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Mar 2020 14:27

I have tried that honey sauce and have to say yeeeuk, I didn't like it either. I enjoyed the Spanish chicken sauce though...very tasty.
I do tend to buy supermarkets own brand of pasta sauce with chunk veg and casserole chicken in that or just other veg and serve with pasta..
Bought some bread once with honey and oh my the smell was terrible, really turned my stomach.
Like honey in a hot lemon drink and that's about all.

Florence in the hebrides

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Mar 2020 14:35

It certainly was not the Quorn fillets. Quorn is absolutely fine and I use it a lot.

The list of ingredients on the jar started with water, then carrots, followed by sugar. How much sugar would you put in a casserole you were making at home?