General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Health Issues

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 25 Feb 2020 18:57

Those of you who know me know I am no longer young and that I have mobility problems. Tomorrow morning I'm having a visit fom my GP to give me a check over and appraisal. On Monday I'm having a home visit from my Dentist who is going to pull at least one upper right back tooth, it's been broken for months. I never knew Dentists did house calls. Still waiting for a Chiropodist, and a knew leg, but I think the latter is wishful thinking. All things considered, I'm OK

Barbra

Barbra Report 25 Feb 2020 20:41

Keep your chin up David all the best to you Barbara :-)

David

David Report 26 Feb 2020 05:24

Thank you Barbra, I think I'm OK others might think otherwise.
What a difference a leg makes I sometimes think, but so many others
are lacking more than a limb and they get by.

David

David Report 27 Feb 2020 12:41

Well the Doctor was a no show yesterday and it appears the Dentist is coming Monday :-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 27 Feb 2020 18:13

Hello David,

Gosh you ain't 'arf going through it again :-(

Keep on truckin' - I wish you all the best

Sue x

Annx

Annx Report 27 Feb 2020 21:28

Spring and hopefully sunshine are around the corner David which will cheer us all up. You need one of those motorised scooter things so you can get out and about a bit. I expect the cats appreciate you and your lap being at home though.

Remember you have come through quite an ordeal and we all wish you well. I hope the dentist turns up on Monday.

Linda

Linda Report 27 Feb 2020 22:09

Hopefully everything will be ok David with your check up and with the warmer weather around the corner you will feel better , about the dentest coming to the house in the 50s we lived in a little village in the south west and when I was about seven and had to have six back teeth out and the dentest came to the house and put me on the dining room table and took them out my mum had my sisters nappies airing in front of the again and burnt them because she was worried about me :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 29 Feb 2020 10:45

Good Morning David hope you get your dentist sorted relax keep warm this weekend not long now to Spring Take Care you & your good Lady <3 Barbara

David

David Report 29 Feb 2020 16:27

Thank you ALL for your concern <3 <3 <3

You may be unaware of this but in 1994 I was hit by a car, seriously injured, the four rings in the base of my pelvis, all fractured, had to heal and learn to walk.
March 2013 I crippled my leg in an avoidable accident, contracted a HAI while in RVI.
Walking only possible with crutches, for a limited duration. Because of the way I've had to adapt my stance I have acquired a hernia in my lower left abdomen, just above the hip. Think I can forget the Great North Run.

David

David Report 2 Mar 2020 12:52

Good day. Three back teeth extracted, upper right, rear ;-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Mar 2020 13:01

Wow, but looking after your dental hygiene is a) easy and b) brings great benefits :-D

I sympathise with the HAI, when I had my hip revision I acquired C Diff (thanks to the massive dose of antibiotics before and during the operation. 7 days isolation wasn't much fun together with the acute symptoms

:-(

x

David

David Report 2 Mar 2020 15:05

Thank you SC, they had been on the decline since injury and HAI. Regular brushing became irregular then not often. I take the blame

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Mar 2020 15:43

Glad you have got that out of the way David. Hope you are not feeling too sore. Have you got daffodils in your garden to cheer you up a bit when you look out of the window.

David

David Report 2 Mar 2020 20:36

I haven't any that I'm aware of Ann. Some years back I planted 100 or
more on either side of the garden path :)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Mar 2020 03:10

David is a motorized scooter or chair an option for you, as Ann suggested?

I understand that you guys in the UK get much more help with disabilities and renos to the house to make it easier to continue to live at home, and for people to take care of you, than could ever dream of!

Is it worth looking into??

A scooter or wheelchair would get out of the house

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Mar 2020 08:51

My hubby has two scooters and he found them invaluable

Two ,because the first one bought was too heavy when taken apart for me to put into the car so he bought a lighter one from Lloyd pharmacy

It was a Pride scooter and very easy to take apart to transport

He would bomb around on it to go to the newsagent and on a few occasions he insisted on taking himself to the bank on his own

We both found it invaluable in getting him around for a long time ,meant too we could still go out together .

He used it right up to before he contracted sepsis and was hospitalised and then was bedbound

It really was a bonus for him keeping him mobile for a long time

I would recommend getting one if you haven’t already :-D

David

David Report 3 Mar 2020 16:55

What does P me off is the fact that my age means that I am not eligible for a

Motability car. I've been a motorist since the early 70's until 2013.

Being over 65 I do not qualify for one of their cars. Surely individuals over the age of 65 become more and more likely to have need of one ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Mar 2020 17:54

Forget the car!

Have you investigated a motorized scooter or wheelchair???

then you can become a menace on the sidewalk like lots of users over here :-D :-D

I have a friend who once knocked down a display of flowers outside a store when they lost control of their chair :-D