General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Panic buying

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Mar 2020 16:18

So my daughter lives near Folkestone and works for P&O Dover

Her husband is a truck driver and can be in the U.K. or on the continent all week often not getting home till a Saturday morning

He has sleeping and fridge onboard so she buys his meals and milk etc for him to take with him

She has been so anti the panic buyers

She usually shops at Asda on a Friday evening

She was so angry when I was talking to her earlier that she was greeted with empty shelves lt was. What? I am a customer but can’t shop for my usual shopping
She had a Lidl near her so was was queue for 7am. opening to get milk and bread for her hubby to take with him

She said I’m not a panic shopper but others are making me think
I need to look after me and mine

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 21 Mar 2020 16:41

It's been awful, Shirley...absolutely disgusting! :-|

Our Tesco have now put a restriction of two of each item but only one for those items that have been flying off the shelves ....things like bread, milk, pasta, loo rolls etc :-0

I was dreading going their today but the car park was by no means full but more like a week day before this panic buying started ..... it turned out to be quite civilized :-0

The shelves were by no means laden but there were items like bread, milk, pasta & loo rolls that have been absent for weeks and the chilled counters had more in them than I've seen of late :-)

Let's just hope these new restrictions calm things down and stops this madness!

One lives in hope :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Mar 2020 16:58

I did an over 70s ,shop on Thursday at the local Sainsbury’s but what was galling was married couples each having a trolley so doubling up on restricted items

I live in my own having lost hubby but a family pack of beef or chicken is more than enough to casserole

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Mar 2020 17:49

I have a brother who is going through chemo, so down to total lock in. Phoned him yesterday & asked him if he needed any shopping, gave me a list, I had to go 3 shops to get bits from them. I have now, after a lot of leg work managed to get him most of what he wants. taking it to him tomorrow & will wave to him through the window. People who have stocked their fridges with fresh fruit & veg will most likely be throwing it in the bin next week. We have been going to chemo with him to give him support but he will now have to go on his own, which he is fine with. I really feel sorry for people who can't get their shopping because they are working around the clock, friends, neighbours really need to help each other, but we live in a world now where people don't know neighbours, now is the time to get to know them Stay safe everyone <3

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 21 Mar 2020 18:11

My grandaughter was telling me her friend tried t get baby milk from a supermarket.

Luckily friends mother was with her.

When they were going out of the supermarket guy came up to them and asked if they needed baby milk.
They said yes we need it.

He told them £40 FOR 1 packet which is normally £8-99.

I would have called the police.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 21 Mar 2020 18:13

I just heard a Tesco Advert saying they were opening their main shops and hour early tomorrow just for NHS staff to do their shopping in peace....as their slogan says 'Every Little Helps' :-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Mar 2020 18:23

As noted before it's hard finding the right thing to do. Putting limits is good but there are ways around it. Limits of one or two are no good for a family though, unless you want them there shopping every day which defeats the object of staying home as much as possible.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 21 Mar 2020 18:37

As we're in for the long haul with this, HOPEFULLY panic buying will cease to a great degree. I tend to shop little and often and never bulk buy. I also have to get stuff for my Mum (96). So many people now don't know how to 'cook' i.e. making things from scratch and being a bit inventive with ingredients, substituting things. There's just 2 of us and we're not massive eaters so not too worried (and I can cook!). The only thing I bulk buy is loo roll (ordered from an eco company) and fortunately I have half a box still left (20ish rolls). The rolls last almost twice as long as my previous favourite brand.

Let's hope common sense eventually prevails and that those vital key workers can get what they need :-(

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Mar 2020 19:51

Been quieter in our town today, had to queue outside boots today as staff were over whelmed, think panic buying over for a while, last few days been manic, maybe because monthly paid people just got paid, hard to see what is going on & no money untill you get paid.