General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Breaking the law?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Mar 2020 12:24

Will I be breaking the law if I can’t get my car MOTed in time because of the Coronavirus but still use it because I have to to pick up medication etc.
Probably another grey area.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 24 Mar 2020 12:27

There are lots of places offering a pick up and drop off service, worth ringing around. However things are changing day by day <3 <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Mar 2020 12:28

No you won't. I can't give exact details but they did address this on tv a few days ago.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Mar 2020 12:31

According to lac your garage may still be open for mot’s . Try giving them a ring.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Mar 2020 12:47

The government has clarified that MOT testing for cars is still on even though the UK is now in lockdown for the next three weeks due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

It comes as Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaking directly to the nation last night introduced unprecedented rules for people living in the UK and said: "You must stay home."

He outlined a handful of reasons why somebody might be allowed to leave their home and that said that non-essential shops and businesses would have to close.

This has left many motorists worrying what they should do if they have MOT's which are about to expire on their vehicles.

However, the Driver Vehicle Standards Agency has clarified that at the moment MOT tests are still going ahead, but this is under constant review.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Mar 2020 13:52

No MOT,,invalids your Insurance and road TAX,

Todays update,-----------

The official line from the DVSA as of Tuesday, March 24, 1101 was this:
‘The Department for Transport continues to keep MOT testing for cars, motorcycles and light vans under review. It will provide an update in due course******. Garages are currently on the exception list for businesses that must close.’******

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Mar 2020 16:16

I've just had an email from my garage. The dealership is shutting because of the coronavirus but it is not clear if the workshops will carry on.
Thank goodness my MOT/service was done a few weeks ago.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Mar 2020 11:40

I’m not sure if I have this right as the article keeps cutting out.
My local online newspaper seems to be saying that there will be a 6 month exemption for mots after March30th

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Mar 2020 12:01

We had a phone call from our garage this morning to say that they are no longer doing MOTs because they can't get spare parts etc. The government announced this morning that all MOT certs will be extended for 6 months, so you did read it right, namelessone..

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Mar 2020 13:17

Official advice (eventually!)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020?fbclid=IwAR1n2gZ9-FffOl2EX5uy78Ix1leezzNWvSOGy1P2SVte_X1VyUrgr2AZmFg

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 25 Mar 2020 19:55

BUT it must be kept roadworthy!!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Mar 2020 21:14

...like everyone is an amateur mechanic! :-S

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Mar 2020 21:37

Phew thank goodness for the extended time, thanks all for your comments x.