General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I wonder what future generations will think.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Mar 2020 16:42

When they find so many deaths when there wasn’t a war going and their ancestors were not found because they were trapped on a cruise ship or died on one.

Island

Island Report 31 Mar 2020 17:03

A bit like us finding so many child deaths in our great/grandparents time. Very sad.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Mar 2020 17:41

or us looking back to the time of the Black Death.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Mar 2020 17:49

Or to the Spanish flu which killed my Grandmother and her unborn baby :-(

Dermot

Dermot Report 31 Mar 2020 17:58

'Military cemeteries in every corner of the world are silent testimony to the failure of national leaders to sanctify human life'. (Yitzhak Rabin.)

Kense

Kense Report 1 Apr 2020 07:19

I have seen a parish burial register where nearly all the entries on a few pages had a note to say scarlet fever was the cause.

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 Apr 2020 07:57

Will 21st century technology avert or accelerate the Apocalypse?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Apr 2020 09:14

They may well think, as I do when looking at causes of death, 'What a pity that there was no cure in those days.'

When I had my first child, fewer than 50 years ago, I was told by the surgeon that if this had happened fifty years previously both child and I would have died.

How grateful I was for medical advances and always will be. <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Apr 2020 12:40

This pandemic will be extremely well documented.

I am sure it will provide a lot of fuel for academic research.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Apr 2020 14:50

In 1946 my mother-in-law lost a baby at 12 hours old and the cause of death was "prematurity, 7 month baby". These days babies born much earlier have a very good chance of survival. As Joy says, thank goodness for medical advances.

Kath. x

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 Apr 2020 17:11

I sometimes worry about some 'negative' medical advances - if that makes sense.