General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Article

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Apr 2020 12:40

I put an article in the village magazine and just thought you might like to read one. It doesn't look like you can send attachments so I am going to have to type it out so here goes.

Paddy

Dora was the straightest person I ever knew,straight of hair, straight of back and totally straight in life, she, however,ad her weaknesses.Who doesn't go a bit weak at the knees for an Irish rogue? Dora married hers and seemed to relish every step of the dance that old rogue led her, remarking, upon his sad demise, that the spice had gone from life.

Whether Dora had ever tried to curb Paddy a bit I really don't know but if she had she failed miserably and everybody could relate a tale of his escapades. Mention his name to those who knew him, even now, and they will be able to enlighten you to one of his, usually side- splitting, misdemeanours.

One night, in the Anchor,when computers were the sizeof a small dwelling and resided in County Hall with a regiment of attendants, we were discussing an elaborate procedure by which you could con them into sending you a free tax disc or, if you were Paddy, a new beer mat.He really did have a beer-mat in his windscreen too.

No longer the agile young blade he had once been,Paddy still assumed he had what it took, even if he had lost a lot of teeth.Dora would not let him have dentures because she said you never knew where you might find them.Now, I would need a head start in a race against that an with no legs you always see in photographs of old Selsey fishermen but, thankfully, I could still outrun Paddy, and his gander.

His cleaning lady and I worked together in the afternoons and we would often discuss the delights we had been offered by him although I usually gave him his paper through the window and could never find the time to partake of what might be on offer.

Naturally, when his fellow countryman were laying the sewer outside his house, it was important to be seen to chase the paper lady up the path every day. I was pleased when they moved along a bit, he probably was too!

After the morning I followed the ambulance in and popped the paper before leaving quietly, I a sure there was speculation that i might have found time in my busy day to sample the delights on offer but no, it wasn't me. I didn't take Dora's spice away.

Dermot

Dermot Report 3 Apr 2020 14:11

Begorrah! That's lovely. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Apr 2020 15:08

Thank you,Dermot

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Apr 2020 15:38

Brilliant! :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Apr 2020 15:39

Thanks maggie It is true.