General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Blocking on face book.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 4 Apr 2020 20:38

I blocked someone on fb a few years ago which up until recently has worked fine, we pm each other but I have not unblocked her now she is able to see what I say I think, So my question is it possible for anyone else to unblock her?
I have Sent her a PM telling her and waiting for an answer now. I don’t want to report it to yet though.

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 21:44

Facebook works in mysterious ways.
I blocked someone but still the private/direct messages are there. Blocking apparently 'unfriends' so this person is no longer on my friends list but why are the messages?

I wouldn't have thought, hoped. that someone else could unblock a person on your account but.....this is FB!

Have to ask.... why do you exchange messages with someone you've blocked? :-S

David

David Report 4 Apr 2020 21:48

A few years ago I blocked some one on FB because I frankly didn't like some of
her friends who were always all over her page.
She didn't like it.
I lost not only their friendship but hers too.
I was new to FB and didn't know how to use it properly.
I made a lot of mistakes in learning. Feel sure others also did

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 21:50

If you go into 'settings' (top right) and select 'blocking' from the column on the left you'll get a list of people you've blocked.
You can 'unblock' there if you wish.

There is also the option now of 'snoozing' someone for 30 days which is less drastic than blocking - and they won't know ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 4 Apr 2020 21:54

Island, it’s a long and involved story and we had a massive falling out but for reasons personal to both of us it was easier to at least keep in touch that way.

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 22:01

Ah, ok Zzzz. So blocking doesn't stop unfriended people from sending messages? That's a bit much!

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Apr 2020 22:05

Somebody unfriended and blocked me and, later, sent me a friendship request.

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 22:06

FB "If you block messages and video calls from someone here, they won't be able to contact you in the Messenger app either. Unless you block someone's profile, they may be able to post on your timeline, tag you, and comment on your posts or comments. Learn more."

Island

Island Report 4 Apr 2020 22:11

Sharron, I accepted a friend request from someone I vaguely knew - well you've got to have a nosey LOL - but the only things that came up in my newsfeed from his account were schmaltzy posts from his latest wife. I unfriended - only to get another friend request from him a few weeks later :-0

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 4 Apr 2020 22:47

Something is going on somewhere because on messenger it now says this person is not contactable on messenger.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Apr 2020 00:02

I just looked to see who I had blocked - only my daughter's ex's mother! :-D
I know I 'unfriended' someone I used to work with, but that doesn't show.
If they can see what I'm posting now ..... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Good luck to them!!!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Apr 2020 14:43

She saw a comment I made on a mutual friend of a friend if that makes sense, we don’t know how that happened as I had blocked her, I emailed her asking her why she did want contact on messenger she said that she didn’t want me to see her posts which I understand, so we could be back on if she can work out how to do it.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Apr 2020 19:42

Will she be able to put me back on messenger without having to fried me, she says. it can’t be be done.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 10 Apr 2020 11:28

Anyone help please, there must be away but alas I’m not a techie.

Island

Island Report 10 Apr 2020 11:52

I sent a message to someone without 'friending' (just checking it was who I thought) and they were able to read and respond. FB change the rules with messaging all the time. Just message each other.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 10 Apr 2020 16:39

I have asked fb why we can’t message each other, WhatsApp doesn’t work with iPad so for now we are just emailing if we need to communicate, thank you for your help everyone.