General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lewis/Louis Martin Glasgow 1850s to 1870s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 7 Apr 2020 06:57

Hello please can someone direct me on where to look for Scottish records relating to blacksmiths or passenger list travelling to Ireland or Northern Ireland in this period. I found one off his children birth Eliza martin b. 29.3.1859 175 brigdegate Glasgow but no more or marriage then I find 2 births in Belfast 1870 and 1874 he had 4 children from names I found but maybe more. Lewis born Belfast in both years but he had a daughter Catherine and Rebecca can't find their certificates. Thank you in advance Sharonrose

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Apr 2020 12:03

There are no records for people travelling between Ireland and the rest of Britain, because Ireland was part of the UK at that time. People just caught a ferry, same as now.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 7 Apr 2020 13:50

You could try Scotlands People web site. It is a paying site.

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Apr 2020 14:42

Is this one of the Belfast births you found?

Name LOUIS MARTIN
Date of Birth 1870
Group Registration ID 7730916
SR District/Reg Area Belfast
Sex N/R
Mother's Birth Surname N/R

From Image - born 21 Sep. 1870 to Louis Martin and Catherine formerly ? Glass or Glase. Father is a Nailer and address is 2 ?Fortingale Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Apr 2020 14:45

Please give more precise and clearer info than you do in your OP.

What are the names of the children you have found - where were they born and when were they born please. Where did you find their names?

You say Lewis born Belfast in both years - what do you mean?

EDIT - Is it the Louis/Lewis born 1870/1874 (see below post) who had 2 daughters - Rebecca and Catherine - even if you can't find their certificates, do you have any idea where they were born?

And where did Lewis marry and to whom?

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Apr 2020 14:48

Ahh! the 1874 birth you found? Another Lewis/Louis - spelt LEWIS this time

Name LEWIS MARTIN
Date of Birth 1874
Group Registration ID 8549488
Sex N/R
Mother's Birth Surname N/R

From Image -
born 14 April 1874 to Louis Martin and Catherine formerly Glass of 9 York Lane, Belfast. Father a Nail Maker

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Apr 2020 14:59

Possible death of Louis born 1870. No image available

Name LOUIS MARTIN
Date of Death 1870
Group Registration ID N/R
Deceased Age at Death 0
Returns Year 1870
Returns Quarter 4
Returns Volume No 16
Returns Page No 177

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Apr 2020 15:12

Marriage of Louis Senior ?

If you get a copy of the certificate it should give you ages of Louis and Catherine and the names/occupations of their Fathers

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1856 (>99%)
Dunphy Patrick Sunderland 10a 423
Glass Catherine Sunderland 10a 423 <<<<<<<<<
Martin Louis Sunderland 10a 423 <<<<<<<<<
Wilson Jane Sunderland 10a 423

There is a birth Dunphy / Wilson Sunderland 1857

The only Martin / Glass births showing are in Okehampton RD which would go with an 1856 marriage same RD of a Wm Martin

sharonrose

sharonrose Report 8 Apr 2020 03:48

Thank you all, because I couldn't find Catherine and Rebecca martin birth in Belfast I thought Scotland and I found certificates on irishgenealogy.ie for Louis 1870/1874 also death of senior in 1891 and Catherine the mum 1893 in Belfast. I will look up sutherland to see marriage certificate if possible they make have census free or look up certificates sites like irishgenealogy.ie, maybe louis and Catherine's from Sunderland and moved to Glasgow. Regards Sharonrose