General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gas safety check

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2020 10:13

I had a letter this morning, informing me that Council Contractors will be coming around on 14th April to Service my gas/heating appliances.
I was somewhat taken aback - the letter was dated March 31st - after the 'lockdown'.

Visions of an engineer going from house to house, spreading germs left right and centre!
I phoned to cancel (I felt sorry for the poor admin on the end of the phone).
Apparently, they've been told to carry on with the servicing.
I realise the service is important - but so is the attempt to stop the spread of a pandemic!
Unfortunately, I didn't ask who this order came from - the head of the firm, or the Council - but either way, it's just stupid!
If I can't see my own family in my house, why on earth would I allow a stranger - who had potentially been around other houses, in to my house!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Apr 2020 10:42

My son works for a washing machine firm, and instead of estimated 9/10 jobs a day is now doing only essential visits,, 3/4 a day

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2020 11:01

I can understand the need for emergencies - but just for a service, it seems silly.