General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sad Memory

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 2 Jun 2020 10:05

During 2008 my MIL was in a care home following the death of her husband.
She suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, needed personal care and spoon fed..
I visited her when I could. There was always a jug of water and a bottle of pop on her locker, MIL didn't always have some one to give her a drink. The care home was under staffed for the number of residents. She was in a room of her own and never saw any one other than a nurse or me her visitor, plus my wife. MIL died in a nearby Hospital
suffering from massive pressure sores on her buttocks. Had she remained in her own home she would have had carers twice daily taking good care of her. But, it was thought she would get better care in the care home. This wasn't the case.
One day while visiting her the nurses were changing her bedding. I went into the Day Room to find a news paper. There was one elderly resident alone in the Day Room, alone, sat in a chair in the middle of the room, no radio on, no TV on.
I distinctly recall her saying
"IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANY ONE< IF THEY LIVE LONG ENOUGH" :-( :