General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

We'll Meet Again

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Jun 2020 09:49

It is being reported that Dame Vera Lynn has died at the age of 103.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Jun 2020 09:51

RIP Vera,Another Icon gone,

60 years ago while playing in East Ham,working mens' club,met a dear old lady who claimed to be Vera Lynns' aunt, Daisy...

naturally we were encouraged to play the favourite wartime songs....

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 18 Jun 2020 10:02

Just heard it on Angel Radio they are now ditching their programmes going to do a programme her.

RIP Vera you did so much for the services. <3

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Jun 2020 11:00

Such a sad time for her family. <3

The last time I sang 'We'll meet' was at my uncle's funeral when we all sang with gusto as he wanted and because he, too, was over 100 when he died.

Vera's funeral will, no doubt, be a subdued affair due to the crisis but she will not be forgotten by the millions she connected with over her music.

RIP Vera. <3

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Jun 2020 11:03

my mum said to me, a little while back, that one of her songs on the radio raised morale more than all the speeches of Churchill put together. I learned all her hits for playing on the joanna in the east end back in the 60s. All for a pint.

we'll meet again

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jun 2020 11:13

So sad for her family and everyone that knew her or listened to her.

I hope in these strange times the family can have the funeral they would like for her.

Kath. x <3

Barbra

Barbra Report 18 Jun 2020 11:33

Bless her such a lovely lady dignified RIP <3 <3 Barbara

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Jun 2020 11:39

She was a link to home for so many troops serving overseas in wartime.

R I P Dame Vera

kandj

kandj Report 18 Jun 2020 11:45

The Forces sweetheart who helped to raised their spirits throughout the war years.
R.I.P Dame Vera.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Jun 2020 15:17

R.I.P Dame Vera.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jun 2020 15:33

She was certainly an Icon. I believe her voice was untrained. She certainly used the talent she was given to advantage. She had a great long life and remained mentally alert to the end. Sad that she has died but, of course not unexpected.R.I.P Vera. Sing with the angels.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jun 2020 15:37

RIP Dame Vera <3

Hilary

Hilary Report 18 Jun 2020 16:31

RIP <3 Shame you won't get the send off you deserve but will never be forgotten. Bet you will be No 1 again soon.