General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Google 1 - 0 Hancock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Jun 2020 17:02

The NHS X contact app is no more.
It has gone to join the Norwegian Parrots.

NHS now intends to move to the Google/Apple model ( freely avaiable, open source) sometime later this year, possibly in time for what is looking like an inevitable second spike.

Being an optimist and of a certain age I hope they get their act together in time to prevent a second spike.

Expect to see even less of Valance on the podium as the current app with centralised data collection was v much his baby. Moreover PHE is currently the next dragon to slay for Tory back benchers.

BrianW

BrianW Report 18 Jun 2020 17:19

Not surprised given the record of Government, NHS and local authority IT procurement ever since they started using computers.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Jun 2020 17:30

I understood that the new app could be run by Google /apple BUT they would HAVE to take on some of the IOW version - the distance tracking.
Didn’t Hancock also say that it HAD to work before he’d agree to use it?

EDit: until the Govt. issue and pay for a smart phone for me I’m keeping my old one so I am not really bothered about the app, whichever one is used in the end