General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Meeting a cousin for the first time.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 23 Jun 2020 00:29

I’m nervous because she is going through the transgender process and I don’t know how to greet her as I usually greet new family with a hug, which obviously is not going to happen because of the social distancing.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Jun 2020 04:24

ZZzzz

Just greet her as you would normally greet a relation of the sex she is now wanting to be (I'm not sure from what you said), minus the hug of course. She will understand that ............. but be as natural as you can be.

Say, "I'd love to give you a hug, but in today's world ........" and shrug with a smile on your face, one that reaches your eyes if you are wearing a mask

It's exciting to meet any new relation!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jun 2020 08:55

You didn’t know her before so it should be easier to accept as she is now.

I’ve always found there is so much to talk about with a new relation that it is much easier than expected.

How are the dna results going?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 23 Jun 2020 09:40

Thank you both for your advice, sometimes it is better to hear other people’s thoughts on matters such as this.

I don’t have the dna results yet, have to wait a couple of weeks :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Jun 2020 11:46

I fby a cousin I had met, but not for fifty odd years.

It turned out that she had er head up her own fundamental orifice as far as many others in the family, only wanted a new audience to listen to her medial history and was disappointed to not have the cousin she wanted.

Don't go into it with any preconceptions.