General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Was it just at my school?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Jun 2020 18:17

I just offered OH a sweet ad when he said he would like one, I said "Suck your feet!", because that is what you always said at my primary school and that is about my level.

Was it just my primary school where it was said or has anybody else come across it?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jun 2020 18:22

Never heard that expression before, Sharron.

Von

Von Report 23 Jun 2020 18:55

Yes Sharron - certainly said at my school :-0 :-0

Along with - Your teeth are like stars - they come out at night :-|

There's another one about ears but not very PC ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Jun 2020 19:02

Where were you, Von?

We were a Sussex village school with a big influx of people from the North East and Wales.
Most places in the south, if you cross you fingers so as ot to be caught in a game of chase, you are 'finites' I believe, but we were 'squibs' or 'squibsies'.

Von

Von Report 23 Jun 2020 19:18

London - yes it was 'finites' for us too :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jun 2020 19:31

Finites for me too In SWLondon but suck your feet is a new one.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Jun 2020 19:51

Fainits?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jun 2020 20:02

As I was frequently the 'new girl' at school, if anyone offered me a sweet and told me to 'suck my feet', I'd just back off :-(
As for the crossing fingers thing, a few used were 'pax', 'touch wood', or similar, like iron, or even leather (where you'd have to touch our shoe).
I spent quite a bit of time working out what the magic word was, before joining in.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jun 2020 20:03

It was such a long time ago and I think Bob is close - wasn’t it vainites.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Jun 2020 20:22

We used faints, pax and squinch - the last was my favourite.