General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mother Of The Year-Not

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 26 Jun 2020 22:16

A woman walks into our local supermarket around 9pm with two boys aged around 15 and 8 years old. They fill a trolley with food and mum then gets the boys to try and push the trolley out the door without paying. Security then stop the boys and ask for the receipt. Younger boy runs off scared. Security suspect mum is behind it so are just happy to get £200 worth of food back. Mum reports younger child missing so they get name and address. The child is eventually found hiding up the far end of the car park. Mum leaves empty handed with the children and the supermarket phone social services.

Mr Owl worked as a night security guard at the supermarket at the time 10pm-6am which is how we found this out.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 Jun 2020 02:26

Poor kids, they don't stand a chance with a mother like that!

Lizx

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Jun 2020 13:02

I am glad SS were informed as that could well be an act of despair.

It was food, not booze and the boy was scared and not defensive. Had she been a practiced thief, she would have routinely taken a bit of what she wanted here and there.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Jun 2020 13:02

I am glad SS were informed as that could well be an act of despair.

It was food, not booze and the boy was scared and not defensive. Had she been a practiced thief, she would have routinely taken a bit of what she wanted here and there.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Jun 2020 03:11

I suppose that could be the case, Sharron. Did she have transport?

Let's hope if the family are in dire straits they will get the help they need.I

Lizxx

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 28 Jun 2020 19:23

After what happened to me a couple of weeks ago, I should perhaps give her the benefit of the doubt. I received a letter from the police, (actually, my wife did, as the car is registered in her name) accusing us of driving away from a petrol station without paying. On checking the receipt, it turns out that they had only charged me for the newspaper. Something got lost in translation. I handed the paper to the cashier, who scanned it, I used my contactless card to pay, and thought no more about it. We immediately drove back and payed, smiles all round and all sorted.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Jun 2020 10:59

A similar thing happened to me many years sgo, Bob.

One Friday I bought a handful of items along with petrol. The cashier's mind was not on the job in hand as she was chatting to the guy at the window next to me. (Obviously mine wasn't either.) I swiped my card (no tapping then), took the receipt, got back in the car and went home.

Checking my weekly receipts over the weekend, I discovered that the cashier had put through the items but not the petrol so I rang the store and told them I'd be in to pay after work on Monday.

When I got home on Monday there was a letter from the supermarket saying that I had not paid for the petrol and if I did not do so, the police would be informed.

Of course I went along, a bit miffed because I'd phoned to tell them myself but it was a fairly standard letter, apparently, which they said would have been done on Saturday morning and sent out automatically. I wouldn't care but if police had been involved, jobs could have been at risk!

OH was not best pleased!

A lesson learned - keep your mind on the job in hand (me and the cashier). :-0

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Jun 2020 12:03

If a cashier doesn't acknowledge me, I generally leave the stuff on the desk and walk away but you can't do that with petrol can you?