General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Virgin Media

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2020 12:18

Anybody know anything about this coming up under Virgin Media Customer Care

Dear Virgin Media User, We are celebrating our anniversary, you've been selected as a winner for today's free Prize!

You need to simply answer our anonymous survey to claim it!

It comes up every time I try to google anything or open up things like newspapers.

Is it genuine or a scam. I actually don't seem to be able to get rid of it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2020 12:36

OK pretty sure it is a scam so just have to get OH to sort it from V Media website instructions.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jun 2020 12:39

Yes I had the same and followed it through just to see and yep they wanted card details

Surely if it’s virgin media they would add it to your bill

I deleted it

Barbra

Barbra Report 28 Jun 2020 12:40

So many scams about be careful

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Jun 2020 13:18

S C A M !!!

How to remove this malware

https://howtoremove.guide/remove-dear-virgin-media-customer-congratulations-malware/

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 28 Jun 2020 13:57

Apparently, my Netflix subscription has been unable to renew. Just confirm details.

Yeh, yeh, and the band played believe it if you like. :-P

Just for clarity. I don't subscribe to Netflix.

BrianW

BrianW Report 28 Jun 2020 13:57

I've had an email saying that my virgin.net email address is being deactivated.
I am fairly sure it is a scam but there seems to be no way to check.
The English seems typical of non-native speakers common with scams, as below.

Dear brian.xxxxxx,
We are deactivating the older mailbox version for bug fix. All users including your email [email protected], are prompted to upgrade to our latest mailbox version for better experience, Click Upgrade below to upgrade to our latest version, and get 25GB free data space with a more organized mailbox to avoid deactivation.

Upgrade Now (LINK)

Mail Administrator
https:// virgin.net

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2020 14:00

Thanks rollo, I will direct OH to this he was having difficulties with it before lunch but is going to look again later.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2020 14:47

Rollo OH didn't have any success with that recommendation. Combocleaner is Apple and the instructions don't apply to fiefox or other browsers. Have you got any other suggestions please? It would appear it is probably embedded in a fiefox file but OH has not been able to locate it. Malware bites didn't find it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2020 15:36

It hasn't happened again lately. OH has actually found a bit more about it. It is not a virus, it is something called Liam and is connected I think to Ads for deals. I think he has found a way to remove it but we shall see.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Jun 2020 16:32

The problem with this sort of scam is the tendency to install core files which other malwares pickup on. Quite a ggod way to avoid these scams is not to use email and especially not public servers such a vm gmail etc etc. Failing that malware bytes realtime version ( not free ) is a good bet.

Scamware usually installs quite a bit of itself in

https://malwarecomplaints.info/remove-dear-virgin-media-customer-congratulations-malware/

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2020 21:20

Funnily enough I have 14 days free of premium malware bites. It didn’t pick it up first time. But I wonder if it has done since as it appears to have gone.