General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mother In Law

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 Jul 2020 09:49

I love my mother in law and I get on very well with her. At times though I know she means well but..... Friday I’ve been looking at the weather in Cardiff next week and it’s looking very warm for when you go. Thank you for checking but we’re going to Llanberis in North Wales.

We borrowed my in-laws motor home this week and before we left my mother in law checked we had enough food and enough clothes. We were not to drive too fast and always wear a seatbelt. We are 37 and 35.

In all fairness though I’d rather have a mother and mother in law who care too much than don’t give a hoot.

Is there anyone like that in your lives who always mean well but drive you to distraction?

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Jul 2020 09:59

She just loves you accept advise but you do your own thing you are grown ups our youngest son is 44 in August i do worry & sometimes will give advise he just says Mum stop mithering x but that's what us Mums do & MIL keep smilling :-D enjoy your hols x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jul 2020 10:01

In all honesty, I'm probably the one who drives my son and daughter-in-law to distraction. We get on really well (she's been good for my son) but the younger generation are not as cautious as we were so it's hard for me not to worry about them.

Like you say, better that she cares what happens to you than not care at all.

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Jul 2020 12:10

Tawny, I loved my mother-in-law. She was bright, quick-witted, clever, thoughtful, kind ..... I could go on but suffice to say that even after all these years I miss chatting to her. She never said a bad word about anyone and I never knew her to lose her temper. We talked about mundane everyday things as well as wider-world occurrences and people. Conversations with her were lively, interesting and never dull.

Make the most of yours while you can!

I think you'll enjoy Llanberis. I started to go to North Wales when I was a child and have stayed there umpteen times since. The last time I was there I stayed in a hotel at Llandudno but for several years we, children and grandchildren, have rented houses at Conwy, Llandudno and Deganwy - the latter, perfect, on the Coastal Path, overlooking the estuary so early mornings were a relaxing treat sitting with a coffee watching the comings and goings. Portmeirion, too, is worth a visit - even though it is unlikely that you'll remember Patrick McGoohan's 'Prisoner'. It's a unique place, a truly interesting concept.

Thoughts of you visiting are 'setting me away' ..... It's the first time in years that I've not set foot in North Wales!

Enjoy your time there, both of you.

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 Jul 2020 12:47

Thank you Barbara and JoyLouise for the holiday wishes.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jul 2020 13:34

Tawny I am sure that you are aware but if you only have cloth masks you need to have triple layer ones in Wales.

We love Wales and wee up in The lleyen peninsular and Anglesey last year lots of lovely bays to visit and, of course the mountain scenery is wonderful.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jul 2020 13:48

I had a lovely mother in law

On our wedding day she gave me an enormous hug and said welcome to the family ,I always wanted another daughter

Hubby was the eldest of three he had one brother and one sister

When I was going back to work after having our daughter both mums offered to child mind . Daughter was only 1 year old and mum still had some of my siblings still at home so we opted for MIL

She looked after her till she was ready to go to school at 5 years

It was father in law family background of being in a children’s home from aged 6 that started me on the genealogy bug !

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 Jul 2020 14:56

We do have the right face masks for Wales.

Mr Owl is an only child as his father died of cancer at 26 when Mr Owl was 7 months old. My mother in law did later remarry but had no more children. It has meant that she always has an open door and ear and heart.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 16 Jul 2020 07:59

Dear Tawny

Hello

Your mum-in-law sounds lovely <3

Life is very precious, cherish her because she cares and in today's world, that is sometimes rare.

Take gentle care of yourself and Mr Owl
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx