General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Well that was a surprise.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Aug 2020 17:41

Looking to get a train from Reading to Newcastle, £203 first class open return, it can’t be right, can it.???. Doesn’t seem like a lot to me.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 30 Aug 2020 18:06

If you pick your time carefully and take the long route round rather than via London you can usually get some bargain prices.
But you need to check carefully - I think that may be only the outward journey, not the return as well.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Aug 2020 18:53

Thanks nameslessone, I’m off to book my tickets now.

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 Sep 2020 08:57

Seems a lot to me.
The plane might be cheaper.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Sep 2020 09:03

What a pity you could not book ahead ss they release a certain number of seats which are a helluva lot cheaper, Zzzzz.

[Edit: about six weeks before travel date]

I wonder whether they've stopped doing so because of covid?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 1 Sep 2020 14:12

Not going now :-( I’ll wait until it is safer, and I’m scaredy-cat, better safe than sorry me thinks.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Sep 2020 14:21

I'd agree.

When you're ready to go, if you don't already know, cheap seats are released exactly six weeks before the travel dates and are usually snapped up fairly quickly.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Sep 2020 18:48

Also, it's sometimes cheaper to split your tickets.
https://www.splitticketing.com/routes/ps/Split_Tickets_Reading_to_Newcastle_Trains.html

I know when my sister and I went to Glasgow, she bought split tickest.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Sep 2020 19:19

Maggie, I know grandson has had some really good prices using split deals, when travelling long distance within UK.
I didn't realise there was a specific site for finding them though.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Sep 2020 19:48

To be honest, Gwyn - neither did I!
I couldn't remember the term 'split tickets', so was googling weird sentences, and came across the site :-D :-D

I love the internet :-D :-D