General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rediscovering little gems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2020 18:31

I was trying to find something in 'word' and came across this transcription I'd forgotten I'd copied, from the ' Halesworth Times' March 26th 1907

"What might have been a very serious accident happened at Acton Lodge on Friday last, just after the sale of Dr. Herbert’s furniture. Several ladies were looking over the house, amongst them being Mrs. A. Baggott, who walked from one of the bedrooms into a large cupboard in the roof and accidentally stepped onto a skylight in the ceiling used for giving light to the landing and stairs. In an instant, there was a tremendous crash, and Mrs. Baggott fell through a distance of about 13 feet, alighting on the back of Mr. G. H. Kent, who happened to be coming down the stairs. Both rolled down for a further distance of about ten feet, but fortunately, beyond a few bruises and a severe shock, neither sustained any injury."

Mrs A Baggott was my great, great grandmother! Fortunately for Mr Kent, she was a very 'slight' woman :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Sep 2020 21:37

Gosh, miraculous that neither was seriously injured.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2020 21:45

Strange, having a skylight in a cupboard, though :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Sep 2020 09:19

That was my first thought Maggie, in fact I had to read it twice to make sure. If it was to give light, the only light must have been in the cupboard. Maybe it was a dressing room type of cupboard or had some sort of loo in it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Sep 2020 09:36

Not sure I'd like to use a loo, or a dressing room, with a window in the floor! :-0 :-D

Edit: Sussed it out! There are pictures online, it was for sale recently.
There is a 'Turret' room with windows. Perfect place for a skylight to the stairs.
It's doubtful that GG gran was there to buy furniture - more likely she was there for a good 'nosey'! :-D :-D

https://durrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/MED_397110_240643.pdf