General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

******TV Licence ******

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Sep 2020 22:34

There is another scam refs TV licence .emails. .phone calls.ignore them do not get involved wait for your official letter Thanks Barbara

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Sep 2020 07:07

We paid up too, Joan, but not until this month, not that the later payment will make a difference to the renewal date as I think it has been set for us as 1 July......

..... so wasn't it heartwarming to find that G Lineker had forfeited £400 k of his annual payment. ;-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Sep 2020 07:42

Joan - if you paid your licence in one go then the licence is usually attached to the bottom of the letter they send you requesting payment and doesn't come out separately (although we do pay by direct debit so that may make a difference).

We've just paid ours this week.

They are also trying to get everyone to go paperless.

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Sep 2020 08:45

We paid ours in one go after which (and, surprisingly, within a couple of days) we received what looked like a letter - Dear M ... but it was headed 'Here's your TV Licence'.

The lower third of the 'letter' has the details - payment, name, address, payment method, due date and Licence number.

Joan, if you have proof of payment going through bank or receipt of some sort, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are concerned still, why not ring them and remember to get a name and make a note of time and date of call.

PS - I phoned to make our payment.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Sep 2020 14:16

We paid ours by direct debit and had an email with the licence as an attachment.

I don't know about detector vans, but I read somewhere that non-payment is no longer a criminal offence, so there isn't much point in having them.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Sep 2020 14:31

Detector vans have not been in use for years and years.
They cannot detect flat screen TVs.
The primary data source is the electoral register but they have other sources for gaps such as ISPs. Anybody who watches live tv from any source on any device is legally liable to pay the licence fee. If you are watching tv that was live via catchup that counts as live too.

Some countries such as France, Germany just add the fee for independent TV onto the equivalent of council tax which achieves the same result and is impossible to avoid. Hardly any paperworkl as well - no tv licence is needed.
The BBC objects to such a scheme as they say it would remove their claimed independence from the govt.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Sep 2020 16:38

Not paying fopr a TV licence when one is required will remain a criminal offence until at least 2027.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-decriminalising-tv-licence-evasion/consultation-on-decriminalising-tv-licence-evasion

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 16 Sep 2020 23:05

Don't pay it
Go to jail and watch for free :-D :-D :-D