General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Plant Butter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Sep 2020 11:46

Has anyonr heard of Plant Butter.Salted

In my delivery shop this week I received 2 Free samples of Flora Plant Butter.

It says on 100 % Plant Based.

Ingredients are

Plant Oils (Sustainable Palm,Sunflower,Rapeseed)

Filtered Water
Sea Salt(1.7%
Fava Bean Preparations
Plant Based Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin)
Natural Flavourings

It says Rich and Creamy Alternative to Dairy Butter.

I won't be using it at all.

Just wonder if People have heard or seen this in any shops/Supermarkets.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 17 Sep 2020 12:16

No Sue...but it sounds pretty bland :-0 :-0

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Sep 2020 12:25

I like butter too much to try alternatives, but by googling I have found that Morrisons, Tesco and Asda sell Flora Plant Butter (they say it's new) and it says you can use it for everything you would use butter for - including cooking, baking, frying and spreading.

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Sep 2020 12:35

I like butter too, Kathleen, but I have never bought plant butter.

I expect that any kind of olive spread is a plant spread but it doesn't have that butter taste. I wonder whether plant butter as it is sold by that name really has a butter taste to it? It would be interesting to hear.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 17 Sep 2020 12:57

Get some on your next order Joy...then you can let me know :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Sep 2020 13:06

Gerraway wiv yer, Ann. I am not the experimenter in the family. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Sep 2020 13:08

Should they call it butter when it is not.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Sep 2020 13:11

I'd give it a try.
I've bought several non-dairy spreads, when my daughter lived at home. Some were better than others.
The new one would be OK in crumbles or other cooking, if it didn't suit for spreading on bread.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Sep 2020 13:11

Sue - your first post - why don't you use it and let us all know whether or not it tastes like real butter?

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Sep 2020 13:30

It's margarine isn't it?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Sep 2020 13:49

No it;s Butter.

Sorry won't be trying it as only like Irish Butter.

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Sep 2020 13:54

It's margarine.

My cousins would not eat marmalade so their mother took the jar round to Granny's where they enjoyed orange jam sandwiches.

I bet plant butter costs more than other Flora margarine. It probably comes out of the same vat.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Sep 2020 13:33

I havc been using Flora Bertolli butter for years, olive oil + butter so no good for vegans. It is perfect on toast and spreads ok right out of the fridge. It is also ok for fry-ups and is calorie kind.

OH has an unswerving loyalty to French Pres. unsalted for baking but uses pure olive oil for cooking inc frying. She dislikes anything with margerine / palm oil in it

Kerrygold is awful stuff.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Sep 2020 14:02

Well, snap there, Rollo!

Not with you but with your OH. President salted is my butter of choice. If I can't get it I buy Lurpak. :-D

One downer at the moment is that Vegemite seems to have disappeared from our supermarkets. I keep trying.