General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cooker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Sep 2020 20:44

I have no cooker at all until the parts come. Not even the hob.

I don't normally use the microwave, which is a combi, so I have no suitable food in for it. Don't know how to cook in it anyway.

looks like it is toast and sanwiches and pot noodles for a while.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 17 Sep 2020 20:55

I wouldn’t know how to cook things in ours either, time for some ready meals me thinks, or a takeaway maybe.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Sep 2020 21:05

My worst nightmare :-(

I rarely used my microwave, and when it decided to self-destruct, I never replaced it, deciding the space was preferable to a dust-gathering microwave.

You have spurred me on to find my trangia and burner, once used for camping!
I haven't used it for years, as, when we stay at the camp site my sister runs, there is a wonderful 'outdoor' kitchen room.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Sep 2020 21:23

i recall fred mullering the door of one of your ovens, is this the same one?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 17 Sep 2020 21:31

We are used to power failures here so we have camping gas hob, lights and other parafinalia just in case.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Sep 2020 22:09

ZZzzz - 'Parafinalia'! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Sep 2020 22:14

This is not the one Fred modified. In fact I have had one in between.
This is the bloody Rangemaster I paid mucho for because i thought that would mean i didn't have any trouble with it!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 17 Sep 2020 22:18

maggiewinchester, my spelling was never good but think you have the gist of what I mean.xx.

Allan

Allan Report 17 Sep 2020 22:25

Didn't the old primus stoves use paraffin? If so, that could be one excellent pun

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Sep 2020 22:29

No cooker ?
I'd opt for a microwaved jacket potato with cheese.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Sep 2020 22:33

ZZzzz - I'm or sure how to spell it either, but I thought yours was a very appropriate spelling for camping stuff :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Sep 2020 09:13

You can heat baked beans in a microwave, or soup, make scrambled egg, boil/steam veg, includng potatoes, in it in a Pyrex dish with a lid or clingfilm, pierced, boill/steam pasta, it's useful for a million things!

Wouldn't be without mine!

Lizxx

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Sep 2020 10:12

there are sausages that microwave cook from frozen,in 30 seconds!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Sep 2020 10:42

I've just realised how I could cook a good meal without a cooker or microwave.
I have 2 slow cookers - one large and one small.
I have, at the moment, a chicken 'stew' in the big one.
I would just need to put the veggies in with it to cook them, or I could probably cook vegetables in the small one.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Sep 2020 11:09

In our old house (came with the job) we were often without electricity which also meant no heating (oil).
The first thing new neighbours were told was to unpack any candles they might have and to go and buy a camping stove.
We also kept some bottled water in the house as we would get that cut off as well.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Sep 2020 11:49

You can do a mean casserole in a microwave. Put everything in including potatoes and it’s a meal in a casserole dish

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Sep 2020 14:37

You know I have a memory like a sieve?

After I calmed down and stopped panicking about having no hob, I remembered that I do have a multi-chef!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Sep 2020 14:58

:-D