General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorced Parents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 23 Sep 2020 15:55

Hi, My parents divorced and both remarried but when I add the 2nd marriage it shows both my father & mother twice ,am I doing something wrong.

David

Kense

Kense Report 23 Sep 2020 16:50

You should see that one instance of each person is marked as a copy.
If that is the case then you are not doing anything wrong. Genes puts them in twice in order to minimise the line connections. There is only a single set of data for each person.

Edit
The person's box that is a copy is indicated by an icon representing two sheets of paper in the bottom right hand corner of the box.

BrianW

BrianW Report 24 Sep 2020 20:18

Unfortunately, the GR tree software is what I would call "cheap and nasty" and has trouble dealing with multiple relationships.

A decent commercial one should be able to handle any form of relationship without duplication, although I use the free one from the Mormons (Church of Latter Day Saints) which it is a shame they no longer supply but I have saved the installation .exe file so can reload onto changes of computer.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Sep 2020 09:20

Not about divorce but is it possible to put same sex marriage on your family tree, I have to such marriages so far. Thanks.

David

David Report 27 Oct 2020 14:40

Hi,,Thanks for all your replies.

David