General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

my family history journey!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Sep 2020 14:37

From Genes by email

Dear Ann in glos,

Can you believe a whole year has passed since you started your family history journey? We hope you’ve enjoyed discovering your ancestors’ stories. Perhaps it’s time to revisit your research..

Where on earth does this come from. It is at least 50 years since I 'started my family history journey'. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Sep 2020 14:49

I've just found that one but also have one - Bring your tree to life - it's been three months since you joined us.

It is probably the fault of the algorithm. :-P

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Sep 2020 14:50

I got one too Ann and I've been on here sometime but haven't touched my tree for years, that may have been the reason to generate the message. I do note it also advertises Find My Past. Is it if you don't use us use our sister site?

Very strange that it's related to a year when it doesn't tie in with anything. Not near subscription time, not near (unfortunately) the end of 2020???????

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Sep 2020 14:57

I think my 3 month message may have something to do with me changing my name.

I've been nameslessone for ages but after someone went to the bother of looking to see if they could find (and use) myreal name I changed my 'first' name to 'Names'.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Sep 2020 15:11

I've just had both those emails - and deleted them!!

About once a month I get one telling me to how to start my family history research - by talking to my grandparents. :-S As the youngest of them would be about 140 years old, that's a bit difficult :-) :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 25 Sep 2020 15:50

I feel quite left out - I haven’t had one :-(. However a little while ago I had an email from Tesco welcoming me as a new online customer. I have been having a monthly delivery from them for at least 10 years, probably more!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 25 Sep 2020 16:13

I have exactly the same email, I just deleted it

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Sep 2020 16:52

It made me chucke just thought I would share it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Sep 2020 17:45

I've noticed for years that the Receipt sent when I've paid my renewal always says welcome to Genes Reunited. Now you can start researching, and tells me what to do. It is always the same, this is the latest one .................

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Your payment has been received and you are now a member of Genes Reunited.

Your receipt reference:

You have been billed ----------------- 12 month Standard membership.

It's easy to get started on your family history:

Getting started

If you haven't already, add as many relatives as you know about to your family tree – grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles and great-grandparents if you know their names. It doesn't matter if you don't know much information about them yet as you can fill that in later. Don't forget to ask any living relatives you have about their memories of people in your family.

Start searching

Now you've got your tree growing nicely it's time to search for your relatives in over million trees on Genes Reunited. Search for your relatives – it's easiest to start with the furthest back relative you know about. A search on Genes Reunited looks through over million names added by other members to link your trees.

Don't be shy – send a message

When your search shows a possible match for one of your relatives … send a message. Your message will be sent through the site to the person who added this relative to their family tree. (Remember we never reveal your email address and your privacy is guaranteed). By sending messages you can find a connection to another family tree overnight. Then you can share information on your families and discover new ancestors. Many of our members have large family trees with over 100 people in them – so you could add huge branches to your family tree in minutes! And connecting with a real person means that you can share memories and photos that really bring your memories to life.

Share Trees

If you've found a connection with another tree on Genes Reunited, don't forget to share trees in Your Message Centre. This lets you quickly spot where your tree links with others on Genes Reunited and work out how you are related to your new contact.

Tip: Make sure we can always pass on messages from your potential relations. Add [email protected] to your address book or email approved list. If you don't your spam filter could stop messages getting through.

Your membership is currently set to Continuous. This means after the initial upgraded membership period, we will automatically extend your membership for the same period, to ensure uninterrupted service. We'll remind you of this nearer the time by email or you can change this at any time on the My Account page when you sign into Genes Reunited.

Good luck with tracing your family tree. We hope to see you very soon on Genes Reunited
- - - - - -

I've only been a member since April 2004 :-D

No acknowledgement of that or that this is a Renewal, not a new membership.

Actually, I received an email from Ancestry a couple of weeks ago asking if they had done something wrong as I had not been on there for some time :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Sep 2020 18:13

I've just received the "Can you believe it's been one whole year" email. It's actually been 20 years.

I don't think anything on this site works properly apart from the members!

Kath. x

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 25 Sep 2020 19:20

SNAP fed up of blasted stupid emails from them

Allan

Allan Report 25 Sep 2020 22:24

All of the above :-D

I'm glad that I'm not alone, I was beginning to wonder what I had done, or not done, to generate such emails :-S :-D :-D :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 26 Sep 2020 08:21

Me too!

:-D :-D

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 26 Sep 2020 17:25

Me too - someone needed some work.

I have been a member here for many years and been working on my family tree for over 30 years.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Sep 2020 19:19

I wonder why some received mail and others didn't.........

No e mails from Genes for me.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 26 Sep 2020 19:43

I've had the same email Ann. In fact I've had two. One for a year and another for 3 months- which is odd as I only renewed my membership this week :-D

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 1 Oct 2020 16:42

I've had the same emails too :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Oct 2020 17:13

I've just looked (it goes to an old email address).
I had this one in September - I renewed in August.

Dear Maggie,

It's been 3 months since you joined us. Where did the time go? We hope you’ve been making exciting discoveries and building your family tree, but just in case you need a hand, we’re here to help.