General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baptism

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Sep 2020 07:59

I have come across a family of 8 siblings all baptised on the same day in 1930. They were all adults with ages up to 52 and all had their birth surname. Three of them were female. Should I assume these girls never married or would they have been baptised using their maiden names? The church concerned was Congregational

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Sep 2020 08:10

Welcome to the boards Andrew.

I don't know the answer to your question for certain but I would think that the females were unmarried if they used their maiden name.

Have you found likely marriages for the 3 females?

Did the family possibly change religion and the siblings were baptised into their new church together?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of such events can give you a more definite answer.

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Sep 2020 11:41

Just a thought which may get shot down. Could it be that the siblings were all baptised under their father's surname if their mother was unmarried at the times of their births?