General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My dog and his op/updated

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 11 Oct 2020 22:37

I have a 11 year old dog that has been spayed. I have another dog that is 4 years old. I have left him intact. Lately he is driving me and my other little beauty mad. When they go to parlour i have to keep them apart for 24 hours as he will not leave her alone. I have now had to take his beds away. Last few days he will not leave her alone and is even sniffing where she has been sitting and licking her and attacking her. She is now biting him so i have to keep them separated. I have booked him in for the chop on Wednesday I feel so sorry for him but can anyone say this will work? So worried it will not stop him.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Oct 2020 23:54

If he was a cat, I'd say it would definitely help! :-D
It may take a few weeks for him to 'settle' (ie behave), but it will calm him down.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 12 Oct 2020 12:18

Usually around 4/6 weeks to get it all out of his system but will be fine.

ann

ann Report 12 Oct 2020 12:52

R thanks. Someone told me it dont always work.

Barbra

Barbra Report 12 Oct 2020 15:12

We have an old lady who was spayed only two years ago 16now our 7year old left her alone after a week or two he does sniff her bed but that's just nature me thinks they live very happily together good luck :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Oct 2020 15:31

Ann, you may have to do a bit of 'behavioural' training if he's still being a pest after a couple of months, - but you'll know it's not testosterone related, just 'acquired', habitual behaviour! :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 12 Oct 2020 15:57

Dogs don't like smell of lemon get spraying her bed might help x :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Oct 2020 16:06

They get randy and even though a done female is there the instinct is there

Getting them done too really is the only option

We took on a male cat who had been done ! But his instinct was to be top cat and that meant bullying our female and she was very wary of him

He did settle as the instinct went down but they were never mates

He just wanted to mate ,mate ,mate

He did pass at age 7 and he was riddled with cancer

Vet said he really was soo oversexed he wore himself out and his body couldn’t cope

ann

ann Report 12 Oct 2020 17:54

Oh dear Shirley. I think he is just as bad as well. Not looking forward to this happening though as he is so gorgeous. Thank you for letting me know it will take a few weeks to work. I will come back on here and let you all know if its worked after a few weeks

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Oct 2020 18:50

I've had no problem with my male cats.
We got Basil & Tansy - they were due to be neutered and spayed - but Tansy got pregnant (possibly by Basil)
Basil was done, as was Tansy, after her kittens :-S
They got on very well afterwards, ued to curl up together, and Basil never 'tried it on'.

I've currently got George and Betty, their brother, Mister, died 4 years ago, aged 10.
All were neutered/spayed at the earliest, and Betty (a nervous 'midget' cat), never really had any problems with the two males.
I have noticed, since Mister died, George occasionally 'jumps' on her in the garden,and and has a play fight (absolutely no harm to either of them), but Betty doesn't appreciate this.
I think George used to play fight with Mister - and at 14, he should have grown out of it :-| But then, he's still into jumping on really high things, and spent most of the summer up a huge tree in the garden, only coming down for food.
George, Betty and Mister never 'snuggled up' with each other - the boys sometimes slept on the sofa together, during the day - one on the seat, the other on the top, but at night, they slept in different rooms - always have, Betty & George still do.

After being attacked by next doors' un-neutered tom cat, (I think he tried to mate with her) Betty has refused to go outside, unless I'm there. :-(

ann

ann Report 15 Oct 2020 21:27

Well my fur baby had his op yesterday. Poor little thing he cried all last night and i just held him. He did do a wee last night but today has not gone near his water bowl so he has not drank anything so of course has not wee'd. Tried to syringe water into his mouth would have not have that. Made a bowl of tea and he did not even sniff it. He did eat last night and he ate lunchtime. Tonight we gave him chicken and poured gravy over it and he ate all of that. Phoned vets and he has to go back tomorrow if he does not drink. Do you think the gravy will cover him to the morning. Very worried

Barbra

Barbra Report 15 Oct 2020 21:38

Hello make him another drink with aired water might help cold might not be acceptable just now . also a bit of gravy thats liquid a good night's sleep for you both will do you good Barbara .

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Oct 2020 05:37

Not sure what gravy you are giving him but make sure it's not salty.

If you mean you give him a bowl of tea, again take care as tea isn't good for dogs.

My Mum used to give our dog leftover tea in her bowl, she even added milk and sugar!
I read only recently that dogs shouldn't have tea and I am sure milk and sugar wasn't
a good idea. No wonder Tessy was overweight

Hope your dog is soon well again

Lizxx

:-\

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Oct 2020 08:49

How is he this morning, Ann?

ann

ann Report 16 Oct 2020 11:24

Still lying around but did do a wee in the night. I am going to try and syringe him again before i ring the vet.

Caroline

Caroline Report 16 Oct 2020 11:32

If you can take some of his food put it into a small bag add water and make like a popsicle for him, then he'd get some water when he ate it...we did that for our puppy when teething obviously take it out of the bag! Hope he's better soon.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Oct 2020 12:11

Has he ever had milk before, and had no bad reaction?
If so, he may prefer milk.

I feed my cats milk (water is down all the time).
Some cats, like some dogs, and, come to that, some humans are lactose intolerant - but not all! ;-)

ann

ann Report 17 Oct 2020 20:00

I took him back to vets this morning. He had a blood test. Then he had 50ml of fluid injected into his skin.. Then he wee'd all over the vets floor. Bought him home went straight to the water bowl and drank nearly all of it then went to get rid of it out in the garden. He has really perked up

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Oct 2020 20:08

Great news x

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Oct 2020 11:30

Very good news

Lizx