General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Guyfawkes night

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Nov 2020 16:43

Should the celebration of Guyfawkes night be cancelled this year? I say that because there will be no organised events probably which means more people will buy fireworks and have their own parties at home which i'm sure will incur far more injuries.
I heard that Sainsburys are not selling any fireworks this year.

After the incident where the Police were pelted with fireworks for trying to break up an illegal rave, it may be the best thing to ban them.

Florence in the hebrides

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 Nov 2020 16:54

I personally think that 5th Nov should only be celebrated with organised displays and have thought this for many years. You always get better displays for your money and also a lot safer. It should also be limited to a set time as the idiots round here spread their parties out over a week or more

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Nov 2020 17:17

We've had fireworks going off around here since the beginning of October and if it's anything like other years it will carry on now until after New Year. Some of them go off like bombs.

I don't think fireworks should be sold to the public at all and only council run displays allowed in normal times but I think they should be banned altogether for this year because of social distancing problems.

Kath. x

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 Nov 2020 18:10

When we wre young neighbouts got togethet one got fireworks some got fire sorted one Mum would make treacle toffee toffee apples baked potatoes .Black peas a great night every body joined in supervised young ones memories good old days :-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 3 Nov 2020 18:15

I tend to agree with LG and Kath :-)

And I do feel for poor animals who are stressed out for weeks at this time of year :-(

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 Nov 2020 18:42

It is not the same anymore animals do suffer not just cats dogs what about birds in the trees and it's an awfull waste of money the price of fireworks these days is obscene Barbara

Sue

Sue Report 3 Nov 2020 18:58

I have seen fireworks for sale in most of the main supermarkets, Sainsburys included. Also the places that sell cheap bangers. Like Kath where we live it goes on and on, til new year.

It doesnt help that our own dog goes crazy and runs into the garden barking her head off.!! Even tablets from the vet do not work. They are actually Prozac,.

While fireworks are for sale, people will buy them, and to be honest you cant blame them for that.
Only by not selling will people not be able to buy them.

Sue
Sorry, correction. Sainsburys do not sell fireworks.!!! Good for them

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 3 Nov 2020 20:05

Someone here has just started letting some off :-| the cat is not impressed

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Nov 2020 22:06

Well we only heard some local along the rd which lasted 5 minutes.
When i was in the Coop today, i was told they stopped selling fireworks awhile ago but Tesco still do!

Florence in the hebrides