General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Button Holes.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Nov 2020 18:40

I where my poppy and other pin on flowers upside down as I think that is the correct way for women to where them, so I wonder if any other women do the same, or I’m I too old fashioned?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 9 Nov 2020 18:43

I always wear mine with the leaf at 11 oclock position :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 9 Nov 2020 18:45

LG you beat me to it. I was going to say exactly the same thing. :-D

Saying that, in the past few years I have been wearing the enamel version with the year printed on it.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 9 Nov 2020 18:50

I have enamel ones as well and I always turn them so the leaf is correct :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Nov 2020 18:50

I always understood that it was correct for women to wear their poppies on the right. But I notice that the Royals wear theirs on the left.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 9 Nov 2020 18:52

I have always worn mine on the right

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 9 Nov 2020 18:53

I wear my on the left, simply because I wear a crossbody bag.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 9 Nov 2020 19:01

It should be worn on the left, that's the way I was told as a WRAF and the British Legion say the same.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Nov 2020 19:07

Have always worn mine on the left

Sadly none this year as not been out :-(

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 9 Nov 2020 19:09

Thank you for that Pat I have had it wrong for about 60 years :-(. But at least I can say I always wear one.

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Nov 2020 19:27

I think the correct thing is to just wear them.

Island

Island Report 9 Nov 2020 19:59

Just wear it! That's all that matters.

Kense

Kense Report 9 Nov 2020 20:03

British Legion website says

3. There is no ‘correct’ way to wear a poppy
Wearing a poppy is a personal choice reflecting individual and personal memories.

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/stories/11-things-you-might-not-know-about-the-poppy

Island

Island Report 9 Nov 2020 20:16

Exactly Ken. I blame the likes of Facebook for spreading 'rules'.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Nov 2020 20:41

I remember my mum pinning a poppy on my coat in the 1950s so no Facebook influence back then lol.

Kay

Kay Report 9 Nov 2020 23:44

Namelessone, I always thought it was correct to wear it on the right too, and often wondered why the royals never did. I guess that's because it's "proper" for ladies to wear buttonholes on the right. I live and learn.

Barbra

Barbra Report 10 Nov 2020 20:15

I always wear mine on the right always have men left lapel x to be honest just put it were you like