General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Such A Beautiful Swan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 11 Nov 2020 12:18

I found the following clip quite moving of a once prima ballerina who had Alzhiemer<3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54896710

It's just so amazing how powerful music can be for those that suffer with this terrible disease <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 11 Nov 2020 12:30

Aw, Belle, I'm blubbing now <3

Thank You for sharing this wonderful clip<3
The following clip about the Composer and Musician Paul Harvey is wonderful too <3

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Nov 2020 12:35

That was lovely Belle. Such a cruel disease that took my mother and mother-in-law. Luckily my mother still knew us right to the end of her life but hubby's mother had no idea and didn't have any quality of life or even speak for the last 5 years of hers. It upsets me even thinking about it.

Kath. x <3

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 11 Nov 2020 12:43

Kath <3 <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 11 Nov 2020 12:46

Such a cruel disease Kath <3

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Nov 2020 12:53

A lovely video, Belle. Thank you for posting it. <3

My OH's mother suffered from Alzheimers and it so distressed her children that I was a more frequent visitor than two of them. She would get agitated occasionally but not often. She was a super mother-in-law and I could not have asked for better - a real lady.

My own mother suffered from being wheelchair-bound toward the end without the strength to move much at all. This agitated her because she was always very active and enjoyed dancing and being out and about regularly.

One was as bad as the other in their cases and we miss both of them. <3 <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Nov 2020 12:56

Fred had a girlfriend with Alzheimers who we spent several years chasing around the village to find after she had wandered off again. she was a lot easier to handle if there was music playing.

She had been a receptionist at the hospital for all of her working life and, just like the beautiful ballerina, the discipline never left her. It meant that I always had to get to the phone first because I was working freelance at the time and she would tell people I was not available or that I couldn't see them.

Glenn Campbell could still belt out a guitar solo to the end I believe.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 11 Nov 2020 14:28

I saw that clip yesterday morning on GMTV. I bawled then, and I bawled again just now. The archive film was the lady when she was a prima ballerina in the 1960's,
As everyone has said, it is a cruel disease.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 11 Nov 2020 15:50

That is so moving. Somehow music seems to talk to us when words mean nothing. My father had dementia in his later years but he was a good singer up until his death at age 93. My brother, who became his main carer, made a series of CDs of Dad's favourite songs and pieces of music and when he became agitated and distressed we would play one and before long he would have calmed down and be singing along with the music.

My 18 year old granddaughter is having a gap year working in a care home for people with dementia. As she is also a very good singer I've said she should learn some of the old songs and ask the manager of the home if she can sing with residents. I am sure some of them would respond but I think, as the youngest and newest carer, she doesn't want to push herself forward.