General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rant alert.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Nov 2020 13:56

I’ve had to change my card details etc changed because someone used it to make purchases of various amounts but my bank is on the ball and I haven’t lost any money, I hope their fingers fall off one by one and with their hands tied behind them.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Nov 2020 14:06

Good to hear that you haven't lost money.

Any idea how they got your details?
When this happened to my daughter (and many others as it turned out) some years ago,it was linked to a dodgy card reader in a local petrol station.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Nov 2020 14:14

I was so worried someone would hack my bank account after hubby died and his assets were transferred to my account

I transferred money to savings and isa to get it out of my current account

I do lots of online shopping but only ever use my credit card for online shopping

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 11 Nov 2020 14:18

Good for the bank being on the ball - my daughter was rescued by Barclaycard - she had never used hers but Barclaycard noticed the pattern of one or two small buys followed by a larger one and checked. As it was in a desk drawer unused she'd never checked a statement!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Nov 2020 14:18

I have no idea how they got my details, I always cover my card when I pay for things, it doesn’t have contactless and I have always had it in my possession and never lent it to anyone, one transaction happened miles away and in a place I’ve never been to.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Nov 2020 14:35

If you have used an atm then it could have been hacked

They attach a device that records the pin and can then go on a spree

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Nov 2020 14:55

I use my debit card for lots of things, even more at the moment as so many places are refusing cash. But I rarely use an ATM. If I want cash I get it when I am shopping, as cash back.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Nov 2020 15:05

The last time I used an ATM was a couple of months ago but I’m seriously looking into getting a credit card.

BrianW

BrianW Report 11 Nov 2020 22:09

If you get a call from your bank to say your card has been used fraudently then end the call, look up the bank's phone number from their stationery or other reliable source and phone them yourself.

We had such a call a few weeks back which nearly took us in, it was fraudsters pretending to be the bank fraud department.

And never give out or confirm details, if it is genuine the bank will know them and not need to ask.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Nov 2020 23:09

I had a text message asking about transactions I then phoned them with the number on the back of my card using my land line, after 20 minutes it was all sorted and I have a refund from 1 supermarket where it was fraudulent.