General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Remembering ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry_

Barry_ Report 11 Nov 2020 15:06

Good Day, Everyone.
Remembrance Day 2020 will be truly unique thanks to Covid-19.
Few gatherings indeed - and so much smaller - will be the 'norm' this year.!
However, that does not stop our thoughts or our gratitude for those who paid the ultimate sacrifice ... that we have LIFE today.
(WE have THE greatest gift without doubt - we won the JACKPOT!)

Perhaps you may be aware that following WWI the fallen soldier's family received a scroll from the government.
You may not have seen one before so I am taking the liberty - if I may respectfully do so - to show the one sent for my late Uncle Sam(uel), my Dad's older brother.
(Dad came back from France ... Sam sadly did not survive The Somme! He was shot by a sniper. Thus Dad never wanted me to have a gun.)

Dad put this scroll in a frame he made, and it hanged on the wall at the bottom of the stairs for my time at home. Now I have it these many years ... and I confess I do my best to keep it safe, too.
How could I not?
This link will take you to the Scroll for Sam if you care to see it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5yyds38bm4x2id/SamuelBarnesScroll.jpg?dl=0

... and this link will tell you about my Uncle Sam, the uncle I never knew ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/remembrance/wall/record/11081

BTW, it was most fortunate I spoke with a cousin about the picture I had of a soldier. She said it was our Uncle Sam. If she had not told me, I would still be wondering "Who is this soldier!"
Cousin Vera sadly passed away shortly after she told me this was Uncle Sam.)

Thank you.

Lest We Forget.

Barry

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Nov 2020 15:22

Lest We Forget Barry and all those still losing their lives for freedom <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 12 Nov 2020 03:52

How sad that your Uncle Sam lost his life, Barry. I love that you pay him so much respect and recognition.

There must have been so many scrolls issued but now lost to the families of those brave men.

We should never forget and nor should our children.

Lizx