General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Should have kept it shut

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Nov 2020 11:46

Lidl have mangoes on offer so I mentioned this to OH last night and suggested I might make some mango chutney.

Must have been a good idea because he is up there now, buying eight.

You would not believe how much I don't like peeling mangoes!

Will I never learn?

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 13 Nov 2020 14:40

There is something worse than mangoes needing peeling - years ago we moved into a house with a quince tree in the garden. As there were so many I decided to make quince jam and altho they were ripe it was like trying to peel stones. Never again!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Nov 2020 15:05

You hold it up and slice down. It is difficult though but they are so tasty that eating mango slices is worth the hassle of peeling mmn.

Florence in the hebrides

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Nov 2020 15:24

I have never tried to peel a mango, but all the experts (courtesy of Google) seem to agree that the easiest way is to cut it vertically, then cut the flesh into slices or cubes, without cutting the skin, turn it "inside out" and scoop the flesh off with a spoon. :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Nov 2020 17:20

These , all eight of them, were not very ripe which was a bonus. i am not very keen on mango on a good day and only ever use them for chutney.

Usually, when they are ripe, there is juice dripping off my elbow, bleh!.

Anyway, they filled my big mixing bowl right up to the top and now they are soaking up the sugar ready for tomorrow when,oh joys, I have to peel and grate ginger!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Nov 2020 17:53

Won’t all that hard work be worthwhile? If nothing else, it will make a lot of us jealous. :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 13 Nov 2020 18:41

Slightly off topic, why is it that I can boil two eggs from the same batch, in the same saucepan, and when it comes to shelling them, the shell of one will fall off almost on it's own, and the other the shell sticks like s**t to a blanket, (sorry, too long in the forces) and ends up looking like a small white pineapple?

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Nov 2020 15:09

Have been grating and grinding and now they are simmering. The house smells of vinegar.

Come 5.30 we will have a lovely batch of chutney, I hope!

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Nov 2020 19:50

Four big jars all filled and ready to mature.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Nov 2020 20:02

I think Bob, its because no two eggs are the same when they are made. The shell is dictated by what the hens have eaten as does the egg itself. Free range chickens produce eggs with a deep yellow colour. Im thinking free range eggs may have a shell different to barn chickens if you get me..

Even twins are not 100 % identical

Florence in the hebrides

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 16 Nov 2020 18:43

Perhaps I should cook them in a coddler.

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Nov 2020 18:49

I have found that I get a better result with boiled eggs if I use a greater volume of water.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 17 Nov 2020 22:15

The shell dos'nt come off cleanly if the egg is really fresh. Once boiled crack the shells and put them in cold running water. Take a little bit from the side of the shell and run the tap on this opening. I t may help but better to keep the eggs a few days so they are not so fresh.

I keep my own chickens and when I boil eggs I always use the ones a few days old. Also some chickens lay eggs that can be shelled easily even when fresh. I always stir my boied eggs for a minuet so the yolk stays in the middle.