General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lucky Dip.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Nov 2020 18:44

The number of parishioners allowed to attend Christmas services in our local church is restricted because of Covid regulations.

The 'lucky' names will be drawn & the rest will have to return home disappointed. :-(

Allan

Allan Report 21 Nov 2020 20:57

Surely some tech savvy parishioner(s) could organise video link?

I know that not all people have a computer, particularly the elderly who i suspect would represent the majority of attendees, but at least it shows that the Church is still trying to reach as many as possible.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 21 Nov 2020 23:21

Not currently allowed by the C of E. You can pre record a service, but with no one present. All C of E Churches have a risk assessment to follow, with the number of people allowed in restricted by size of Church.
Services currently suspended, private prayer allowed.
Until the latest lockdown we had to book to attend services, any excess numbers were refused entry, so to comply with legality and insurance.
We have Zoom services from the Vicarage, which are transmitted onto the Church fb page.

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Nov 2020 00:54

Wow....since March they've been doing online/zoom services. We recently went back to in person services with limited numbers, but as of Monday we're back to online except max 10 people for a service.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Nov 2020 03:08

Our churches in BC were opened in July for up to 20 attendees as long as they could be spatially distanced, no music or singing.

However, all stopped as of midnight Thursday, due to the large increase in cases and need to get them down, so new restrictions brought in.

Can still have weddings, baptisms or funerals as long as there are no more than 10 people in the church.

Otherwise it will be back to online.

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Nov 2020 04:49

Sounds like you're in the same boat as us Sylvia :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Nov 2020 07:59

Dermot, our cathedral operates services online so perhaps Exeter does the same but, as Allan says, some parishioners may not have access to the internet so it is not a solution for all.

Those believers who will not be able to 'attend church' could sing, pray and contemplate at home. They will know that He will hear them regardless of whether they participate in a whole mass or not,

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Nov 2020 10:08

Dermot, Durham Cathedral Services online via its Facebook page. You do not need to have a Facebook page yourself to join in.

Parishioners who have online access may, as Christians, let those parishioners who have no access to computers be the ones who actually attend the church service.

You may know whether RC cathedrals are doing the same.

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Nov 2020 10:16

JoyLouise - Exeter has a lovely historic Cathedral with online access if needed.

Several alternative arrangements can be achieved but not many, in my experience, would offer to supervise such a set-up. Sad!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Nov 2020 10:36

I remember visiting Exeter Cathedral several years ago, Dermot, and how lucky my pal and I were to choose that particular day.

I am not sure what the day was called but it was the day when stalls from various parishes were set up inside the church. We bought a couple of items - cards and such like - but two things stand out.

The friendliness of everyone and the fact that we were able to sit and enjoy lunch in the nave - a coffee and a very tasty hot pork roll.

A lovely day, and such a good idea.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Nov 2020 17:59

Caroline .................. yes, we are in the same boat.

Our numbers are less than yours, in the 500-700 per day range, but then our population is much smaller, so I guess the ratio is about the same.

and it's more or less the same age group :-P :-(