General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hidden treasures

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Nov 2020 14:12

Having time on my hands, and no job, I occasionally look around for things to clear out.
For her birthday, I gave my eldest a painting she'd always liked, that had spent the past 20+ years slotted down by a chest of drawers. It cost me £2.50 in a jumble sale, about 25 years ago - I bought it for the frame, but did nothing with it.
When 'Google' came along, I looked it up. It's by LeForestiere, and is worth £250!
Daughter has been told she can sell it. Instead, she keeps asking me if I meant to give it to her!

Also hidden away, I have a Harris tweed suit I made about 40 years ago, from a Vogue pattern. It's a straight skirt, with long sleeved bolero jacket. I've worn it once, because I then got pregnant, and for years, the opportunity to wear it never came along, and I grew from a size 8 to a size 10 (and more every decade since!)
My youngest is a size 8! I Iooked up the cost of a Harris tweed jacket - alone, that's worth nigh on £200 - and that is a 'normal' jacket not a bolero! Actually it wasn't meant to be a bolero jacket - but I hate doing buttonholes!
Guess what she's getting for Christmas.

For Christmas, eldest is getting a leather tray I bought years ago, and never used - apart from as a dust-gathering ornament - it has a duck painted on it.
She's always liked it. Just looked up the price - it's labelled as 'vintage' on Etsy, and is for sale at £40. I never spent that much on it - probably a fiver! :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Nov 2020 14:30

One of the old ladies on my paper round in the eighties was going to a wedding. She showed me the suit she intended to wear and I was most impressed to see that a woman in her eighties was going to wear something so very on trend.

On trend, just as it had been when she bought it in the fifties before she carefully stored it away in moth balls!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Nov 2020 15:03

:-D :-D :-D :-D

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 22 Nov 2020 23:20

When my daughter was very young I used to buy ladies clothes at jumble sales so I could cut them up and make things for daughter. Some I did use but the rest ended up in the loft. I rooted a lot out early this year, washed, mended and pressed them, and took them to the Vintage charity shop. They were very grateful.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Nov 2020 06:17

Haha I knew I was right to hoard so much stuff lol

All I have to do now is find all these treasures!

Lizxx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Nov 2020 19:31

Maggie....Harris Tweed jacket ,oh they are really so expensive here .Only the tourists like the Americans can afford them. Very chic. A very expensive xmas pressie

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Nov 2020 19:43

It's a beautiful green, too, Florence.
Similar to this lampshade!???

https://lucywagtail.com/shop/lampshades/harris-tweed-lampshades/green-harris-tweed-lampshade/

I was wondering (for 40 years) what to do with the left over material - I now have an idea! :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Nov 2020 19:36

Very lovely shade of green, but the turqouise shade is beautiful as well..

Florence in the hebrides