General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

open envelope delivered

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Dec 2020 19:55

my sister inlaw wrote 3 cheques put them each in an evelope then put the 3 envelopes in side the christmas card, put some sellotape on the seal , had it weigh at the post office, when it arrived at my nieces house today the envelope had been open and the pots man delivered an empty envelope. i am so annoyed.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Dec 2020 20:15

Oh my! thats terrible Patricia....so mean
But the cheques can only go into the account named on each cheque. So SIL needs to get the cheques stopped asap.

Give her the bank details and get the money tf safely.

Nothing is safe these days it would seem even with the envelope sealed.

So sorry to hear this
Florence in the hebrides

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Dec 2020 11:51

hi florence many thanks for replying,im just glad it was a cheques, pat

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Dec 2020 14:31

Postmen are expected to deliver down to the last letter of the law.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Dec 2020 18:09

Whoever took the cheques could just counter-sign on the back and get it cashed somewhere ..................... there would be no recipient's signature to check.

Not all postmen are so honest, especially if it is a temporary one for Christmas.

We have a lot of community mail boxes, where everyone living within 1 km will go to collect their mail. There are lots of thefts from such boxes, even if the thieves have to demolish them first. They always seem to be able to beat whatever new safety measures are put in place.

Plus of course, all apartment buildings, large and small, have a central mail room, no delivery to the door in those buildings.

When my daughter was switched to the community mail box, I set up a joint bank account for myself, OH and her. It is not the bank they use, but there is a branch within walking distance of her office.

I now just make a bank transfer when I need to send money for birthdays, Christmas etc., then she gives it out to the intended recipient.

I do send cheques in the mail to our 6 young great nieces and nephews ........... and don't feel happy until I get the thank you note. Unfortunately one set of parents have never done that, I think the wife was not raised to do so. We didn't even get a thank you for their wedding present!

Island

Island Report 11 Dec 2020 18:30

How many handmade cards go missing?

Surely if someone opens an envelope and pinches the contents they wouldn't put the empty envelope back? Not doubting Patricia but it does seem a bit odd.

Many years ago, my birthday card with a pound note didn't reach me - not even the envelope.

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Dec 2020 19:45

thank you all,yes i could not understand why the postman would deliver an empty envelope, but there were more post for that address and the post could had been open any where along the line,the thing is i had sent a card with 3 cheques in and mine arrived intacted.i posted mine in devon my sister in law posted hers in cornwall.i think putting in to the bank is the only safe way , thank you all for your replys ,patricia

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Dec 2020 20:14

I won’t be seeing my grt grandchildren this Xmas

They are all teens various ages and for the last few years I have given them money as no idea what they like ,wear etc so they buy what they would really like

Usually I give it to them in a card on Boxing Day

Soo this year I asked each of them for their bank details so can do a bank transfer

Had to chase one of them as they hadn’t replied to me but was really touched when she said she would like me to send her Xmas money to the wisdom hospice where her grt grandad passed in 2015

I make a donation to them anyway and had already done mine

She is 16 and still at school but she has a little job in the evening in a local newsagents .

:-D <3

Annx

Annx Report 11 Dec 2020 21:56

What a lovely, thoughtful granddaughter you have Shirley!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Dec 2020 11:17

We just received an empty envelope. Obviously want for a card and very lightly sealed.

But who is it from. It is postmarked wit the Gatwick mail centre logo and we can’t think who it can be. :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Dec 2020 18:08

The good thing over here is that you have to put your return address in the top left hand corner of the envelope or label on a parcel, so mail can be returned if necessary.

It means that you always know who has sent the piece of mail.

I do wish you guys would have to do that! We get so many Christmas cards from the UK, mainly England & Wales, and only about 1 in 10 will think of putting their address on the envelope.

Luckily we have never so far had any empty envelopes, although who knows how man have gone missing over the years.