General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stonehenge - The Lost Circle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 12 Feb 2021 20:01

Tonight on bbc2 at 9.00 pm. A review of 10 years of research. Think thats what I heard on the radio trailer. Sorry did not see the other post.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 12 Feb 2021 20:14

I heard a bit of that Jacqueline, apparently originated in Wales and then transported
:-0 :-0

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 12 Feb 2021 20:40

Yes, apparently not only did the stones come from my ancestral home of Pembrokeshire originally ..... but they now believe that Stonehenge was actually constructed there, dismantled and transported to Wiltshire many years later :-D

https://news.sky.com/story/stonehenge-ancient-stone-circle-in-wales-could-have-been-dismantled-and-rebuilt-as-monument-12215706

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Feb 2021 12:07

The bluestones from Prescelly are 2-3m long and should not be confused with the huge sarsen stones which create the famous Stonehenge skyline and def did not come from Wales. 3 000 years ago there were no celts living in the British Isles and the various modern countries did not exists in any way.

The team were able to locate the precise origin of the Prescelly bluestones which was a bit of top notch advanced science. The location was several miles from the previous most likely location.

The team also made the obvious point that the frail water craft of the time could not have carried a bluestone. Instead they showed how the stones could have been moved using wooden sledges using the approx route of today's A40.

As political correctness rules all the team rejected the stones being won by warfare in favour of a friendly move to the current site. So far there is no evidence either way beyond ancient legends.

I wish they had something as interesting and well produced as this on more often. 10/10.