General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Car Written Off

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 23 Feb 2021 17:55

Our car has just been written off after an HGV managed to back into it. Our car was a Mazda RX8 40th anniversary of the rotary engine edition.

At least nobody was in it at the time but it’s still upsetting as our car known as Rexi was more than a car to us. Only 12 miles to the gallon but it was so much fun to drive and it had to be manual gear box. :-( :-( :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Feb 2021 18:00

Awe that is a shame but glad nobody was in it. Expensive to drive with that mileage though.. I assume it was parked somewhere. How did the HGV driver manage to do that?

Tawny

Tawny Report 23 Feb 2021 18:17

He was trying to turn a corner and misjudged the angle. Nobody is sure why the HGV was on the estate as the only shop on our street is a Scotmid (Co-Op) and they have confirmed they have it on cctv but it wasn’t going to them.

Tawny

Tawny Report 23 Feb 2021 18:26

The estate is a mixture of serving military and private houses that the military have sold off. A really quiet estate despite have two primary schools on it (one state and one special needs).

Nothing happens here and we all seem to generally rub along without issue.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Feb 2021 18:55

That's a real shame that your so-loved car is badly damaged, but good that nobody was hurt.
One wonders if it was a Sat-nav direction that brought the large vehicle onto your estate.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Feb 2021 22:06

Gwyn ...... I was also wondering that.

I remember reading in my home town paper some years ago that detailed how 1 large truck had been steered by sat nav to try to turn an impossible corner in a small village nearby, and another had been guided on to a former cattle track over the nearby Saddleworth Moors.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 24 Feb 2021 07:01

Ooooeeer Tawny that's not very good :-(

I take it the HGV driver didn't stop then :-|

At least no one was hurt <3

BrianW

BrianW Report 24 Feb 2021 08:34

There was a one-way flyover in Chelmsford (demolished last year) which was one direction at a time.
Our satnav said "Keep right" to go over the flyover regardless of whether the flow was with us or against.
Only once met someone on the top who was going the wrong way.

Tawny

Tawny Report 24 Feb 2021 09:00

The HGV didn’t stop. We’ve put feelers out though as my father in law still works with the industry and still has plenty of friends in the industry. All we’re trying to do is get the name of the company.

I don’t know what will happen to Rexi yet as it depends what the insurance company offers. It’s worth more to the lovers of RX8s than the insurance company. Mr Owl has a friend with his own delivery company (one of the best men at our wedding) and due to the amount of damage done to the vans he opened his own body shop as well. He has offered to try and put Rexi on the road for £1000 so we’ll see.

BrianW

BrianW Report 24 Feb 2021 09:14

Any neighbours or even in the next street where it would have approached/left with CCTV?

Tawny

Tawny Report 24 Feb 2021 09:32

The only other place we know of that might have CCTV is the Sainsbury’s at the bottom of the hill just off the estate. Sainsbury’s will only talk to the police though where as the Scotmid is willing to help the community because they are trying to stay afloat whilst trying to compete with Sainsbury’s.

Sounds like a scary flyover Brian

BrianW

BrianW Report 24 Feb 2021 10:06

You might be surprised at how many neighbours DO have CCTV or a doorbell with a camera.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 24 Feb 2021 10:48

I think those doorbells that Brian has mentioned with a camera are becoming very popular....they do have a wide field of view too :-)

There was that incident recently in Scotland where the doorbell camera captured a postman who didn't help a pensioner who had fallen over and just left her in freezing conditions where she was :-|. I think most people would have found it hard to believe if it wasn't for the evidence from the doorbell :-(

Might be worth just checking those houses, Tawny where the incident happened :-)

Tawny

Tawny Report 24 Feb 2021 11:07

Thank you both. I’ll ask the neighbours to see if anyone has CCTV

Tawny

Tawny Report 27 Feb 2021 21:11

None of the neighbours had cctv but the police will try the Sainsbury’s and the Scotmid (Co-Op). The insurance company will automatically reinstate the policy if we can get Rexi back on the road in 30 days and Mr Owl has a friend with a body shop. Here’s hoping Rexi is back on the road soon.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Feb 2021 22:15

Tawny .... do b careful with "friends", that they are licensed to do what they say they will do.

My sister-i-l trusted someone she knew to repair her car, and get it through the MOT test and back on the road.

He did the work, it passed the MOT

I went back to the UK shortly after that and she was driving me around. I looked down at one point and realised there were holes , some quite big, in the floor of the car between my feet.

I would see the road surface through them :-0

I assume whoever did the MOT didn't look at the actual body work.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Feb 2021 12:11

I had to be out very early one Sunday morning in January in blizzard conditions. There was scarcely another vehicle anywhere as it was so early.

I'd travelled about ten or so miles and I was about to join a major road when the car in front of me turned right down the wrong slip-road - the one coming off the northbound carriageway of the A19 - which meant that when he hit the major road he was facing oncoming traffic.

I could see where he'd gone wrong but there was no way I was going to follow him. I banged on my horn and kept my hand on it before I took the next right on to the slip-road and on to the southbound section of the A19 (which is clearly where he meant to have been). The other driver was quickly out of sight while still on the slip-road; so bad was the weather I have no idea whether he realised what he'd done or whether my horn had alerted him to something being wrong.

Although I looked to the right once I got onto the southbound carriageway to see if I could see him driving south on the northbound carriageway, visibility was so poor that I could see nothing across there.

I reached my destination safely but I often wonder what happened to the other driver.