General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spines of books can be misleading

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Feb 2021 22:02

Having moved house, and, therefore, having to pack my books away, and then reinstate them in the 'library', purely so I had some floor room, they've been shuffled around a bit.
Most shelves were 'double banked' so I've found books I haven't seen for years.
I was squinting at the title on the dust cover of an old book last night - I thought it said 'Ales of Old Pubs'. Picked it up to read it - it was 'Tales of Old Pubs', but nonetheless, interesting.

Then another title caught my eye - it said 'Liberating Sex'.
Ooo-err, thought I, Where did THAT come from,definitely not my usual purchase :-
and decided I ought to hide it before the person came to fix my internet connection today.
I picked it up to see what it was about - and the full title is 'A Christian Sexual Theology' - so no smut whatsoever, no dirty pictures - bought for my Uni course, and I just put it back - didn't hide it :-S

Allan

Allan Report 24 Feb 2021 22:32

Dust covers on books can be changed, Maggie, so that the most smutty can be hidden under a veil of innocence ;-)

Not that I've tried it, of course :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Feb 2021 22:55

Oooh Allan! 'Liberating Sex' is a paperback - no dust cover

Allan

Allan Report 24 Feb 2021 23:03

You can always cover it in plain brown paper; no one would guess :-D

Kay

Kay Report 24 Feb 2021 23:08

A monkey knows his own tricks best, as my mother used to say Allan!!

Kay

Kay Report 24 Feb 2021 23:10

Hope you're settled into your new house Maggieinwinchester and have many happy years there and make lots of lovely memories. Best wishes. X

Allan

Allan Report 24 Feb 2021 23:26

:-D :-D :-D@Kay

Mind you, Book titles can be deceptive. I once bought a copy of 'The Perfumed Garden' thinking that it was a book about domestic horticulture

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Feb 2021 23:32

I've just read 'War Crimes For The Home' - nothing about war crimes as such - more about sex and relationships! :-S

Excellent read, though :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 24 Feb 2021 23:38

So was 'The Perfumed Garden'! :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Feb 2021 23:54

:-D :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Feb 2021 08:55

Keep that Christian sexual book, Maggie, if only to remind you how vicars ought to be. ;-) :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Feb 2021 09:03

It's probably not as 'staid' as you'd imagine, JoyLouise, and relates more to the behaviour of the parishioners, rather than the overlords.

Somewhere, I have similar books relating to other religions.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Feb 2021 09:20

Staid is not at all what I'd describe some clergy to be!

Maggie, I've actually worked among vicars and those from the even-more upper echelon in my time. Some were good to the core but others not so good.

Often, I thought some of the lay employees were stuffy when compared with clergy. They often drew wry smiles.

Perhaps the parishioners adopted the stance of their incumbents of the moment? :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Feb 2021 10:22

Weirdly, my eldest was a cleaner for Michael Scott-Joynt, the Bishop of Winchester, for a couple of years from about 2000 - unfortunately, just after I'd finished my degree, or I may have staged an interview with him!
I say 'weirdly', because we're not Christians - indeed, my dad was a convert to Islam, no-one else was!
A Cathedral official who lived near the local shop, asked Denise & Brian - regular church-goers who owned the shop - if they knew an honest, trustworthy person who would be 'up for the job'. They suggested my daughter - who, at the time had just returned (with dog) from a couple of years as a 'traveller' complete with piercings and deadlocks!
Anyway - Mr & Mrs Scott-Joynt were, according to my daughter, lovely, not stuffy, and their children - normal!
However, my daughter rarely 'spilled the beans'.
She was home late once, because their son had come back home drunk the previous night, and left the bath tap on - thus flooding Wolvesey Palace! :-0

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Feb 2021 10:24

Am going to message you Maggie. <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Feb 2021 21:11

When I worked in the Estee Lauder factory, I had several other jobs going, as did my mate who worked with me.

She came in to work one afternoon and said he had picked up another job and had to go up west street fo the interview and that it was behind the cathedral in a big house.Big house, I'm sure, she had just picked up a job in a palace!

They looked after her very well and lent her a bike to get there more easily, loaded her up with veg from the palace garden and even let her stay in some sort of cathedral flat in Brighton for a week o give her children a holiday.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Feb 2021 12:16

Sharron, did you get EL freebies? I hope so!

Your friend landed on her feet. I hope she enjoyed her work there.

The C of E usually does look after its flock.

Many bishops' palaces have gone because of the horrific costs of upkeep. The Bishop's old residence here is now owned by someone called Jonathan ????? (I forget). It is open to the public though and is worth a visit if you ever get to this neck of the woods.

One of the fab things Jonathan ? has done is to introduce Kynren. It is an open-air spectacular that is well worth a visit - although due to covid it is on hold. We took our younger grandson the first year it opened and what an experience!

If anyone is heading this way during July, August, September, look out for it (not this year, perhaps). There is a similar event in France but Kynren in Bishop Auckland is the only one of its kind in England. I can't imagine anyone, child or adult, being disappointed with it.

Edit: I've just checked and it's on during August and September. I recommend it.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Feb 2021 12:31

A goodie bag twice a year and staff shop once a month. We were just the packing plant working a three hour shift.