General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grandson has lost a tooth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Mar 2021 14:04

Elder daughter huffs, because she doesn't use cash, and has no money to give him.

Younger daughter suggests transferring it electronically via New-tooth! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Mar 2021 14:30

My ability to lie off the cuff once got somebody out of very serious trouble involving the tooth fairy.

We had a job in a pub on the Isle of Wight and the landlady was in big trouble because her son had put his tooth under his pillow the previous night and it was still there in the morning.

To my eternal shame, quick as a flash, I was able to say that I was not surprised because it had been foggy the night before and even the ferries were not running so it was no surprise that the tooth fairy had thought better of it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Mar 2021 18:46

:-D :-D :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 2 Mar 2021 19:39

My granddaughter has lost four baby teeth, but there has been no sign of them, presumably she has eaten them. She knows about the tooth fairy because she has an older sister who the fairy visits, so naturally the fairy has come to her despite the lack of a tooth to swap for the money. Because of her disability, she has no concept of the value of money, but she understands that you can buy things with money. Last time, she was adamant that she could buy a Barbie car with her pound coin. The car duly appeared, but she didn’t want to give up the coin.

Ron2

Ron2 Report 2 Mar 2021 21:53

I use our "corner shop" for the odd item and they only accept cash. I believe in supporting them as they well organised, clean etc and when the panic buying started at first lockdown they still had toilet rolls etc - rationed of course. We use S'burys for main shop tho. No doubt your daughter will get caught out one day. I use a taxi for hospital appts they only accept cash, some self employed trades men only accept cash or cheques. Can only get Remembrance Day poppies for cash. I certainly couldnt do without cash

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Mar 2021 21:57

I use cash as much as possible too, Ron, especially as the 'powers that be' want us to become cashless!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Mar 2021 22:18

We use cash for almost everything that we do in "real life", from paying the grocery bill at the supermarket, the butcher, to paying for dinner at our neighbourhood Japanese restaurant or for coffees, taxi drivers, etc

We use credit cards of course for online buying, and I've started using one for my physio instead of cash ........ they used to prefer the fact that I paid in cash, and always with the correct amount, because that gave them change (small bills and coins) to use when other clients paid cash but not the correct amount.

I carry a large amount of cash when we go on our annual train trips .............. usually with much of it in small bills ($2, $5, $10). The reason is that we tip train staff, station staff (eg, the wheelchair pusher), hotel staff (eg, doormen, bell boy).

Also, the train from Vancouver to Toronto does not accept payment for extras not included in the train fare .............. such as alcoholic drinks, or pillow and blankets or food in Economy. Reason .............. Canada is such a vast country that there are huge areas where there is no WiFi coverage. Just imagine ............ you can't even use a cell phone or internet for hundreds of miles :-D :-D

On the other hand, we have to use credit cards on the other 2 trains, EXCEPT for tips.

I've never heard of a way that one can tip for service received by credit card.

Although I have heard from both hotel staff and train staff that tipping is becoming a lost art ............. people tend to treat them as servants, many do not even say "thank you".

I just cannot understand that!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Mar 2021 22:38

The use of cash has plummeted since the pandemic.
Supermarkets here prefer contactless, as do buses etc.
Daughter works for the NHS, and they were advised, last year, to avoid using cash! :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Mar 2021 22:48

Well each time i go to the supermarket(about twice a month), i pay with my debit card and ask for £20 cash back. That way i always have some cash on me for emergencies like a taxi as they take cash and most dont do cards.

As for the tooth fairy, a little personal note explaining that because of the virus, the tooth fairy will put it into her bank account etc etc..I mean thats not exactly a lie is it? just telling it as it is just now.

Florence in the hebrides