General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there a name...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 3 Mar 2021 18:25

... for those who "harvest" information from other people's tees? I ask, because a few days ago I had a message from someone on another site, saying that a picture that I had added to my tree was also in hers. I searched her tree in vain for the ancestor concerned, but couldn't find it. Then, I realised how big her tree is. Over 1700 names. I am convinced that she had just been adding people that she thought were her relatives, in order to boast about the size of her tree. I have found several relatives of mine in other trees that clearly shouldn't be.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Mar 2021 19:09

My brain is going ( ;-)) and I can’t remember the term for them. But only 1700, wait until you come across the 35000’s.

I came across someone who had a large chunk of my family. The tree owner claimed it had just dropped in and wouldn’t do anything about it even though it was wrong. She also wouldn’t tell me if we actually had a connection as it was ‘too difficult’.

Island

Island Report 3 Mar 2021 19:24

Name collectors Bob.
I was puzzled to find both my parents added by the same, unknown to me, person. No further parents, grandparents, siblings, no-one. zilch. Why my parents???
I messaged her for both. Purple envelope.
What's the name for someone who does that? Weirdo?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Mar 2021 10:37

‘Namecollectors’ hmm I,m sure there was a less polite term for them.

Island

Island Report 4 Mar 2021 11:32

On GR chat names? Surely not :-0 LOL

I also find that any name related to me, that I look for in 'search trees', the same person has them all :-0 Surely I would know her if she was genuinely connected? I think she's a town and county gatherer. :-0

Kense

Kense Report 4 Mar 2021 11:34

There's at least three members who have Jesus in their tree and many with Adam in theirs. A couple of hundred have William Conqueror, one of who thinks William was born in 1066. There are some genuine William Conquerors born in the 19th century.

Island

Island Report 4 Mar 2021 11:38

Ken, I think there was also a Mickey Mouse in the early days.

Kense

Kense Report 4 Mar 2021 11:47

There are still 18 trees with Mickey Mouse but quite a few must be genuine from the DoB and PoB.

Kuros

Kuros Report 4 Mar 2021 11:51

I have a name for them but I can't put it here. I made my tree public on Ancestry after I had my DNA tested then I found that someone not connected in any way to my family was taking everything off it and adding it to hers. One afternoon I added some facts and, as soon as I'd done it, she had all the info on her tree. I had the feeling I was being watched! I was tempted to add some ridiculous names like Annette Kirtin or Hugh Jars just to see if she copied that but I settled for making my tree private again.

Annie

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Mar 2021 11:57

Linked tree |
85,471 People
View match

DNA linked,,,beat that.!

:-D :-D :-D.

where I fit in is anyones guess,,,,,,,,,,maybe Adam or Eve,or before them.

Island

Island Report 4 Mar 2021 11:58

Can't argue with the Mouse himself Ken, 'born 1930, Disneyland' :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Mar 2021 12:03

During a GR glitch, someone asked about my dad's stepdad.
Dad's stepdad isn't on my tree, but of course, dad had his surname.
The glitch caused my tree to open - and this 'charmer' stole many names from it - names of people who obviously had nothing to do with dad's stepdad.
I closed my tree as soon as I could, but looked at his tree before the glitch was repaired - he'd put all the Suffolk lot in Hampshire!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Mar 2021 12:51

Kay????

That is also the sort that is too busy or it’s too complicated for them to help you sort out the connection.
Grr!

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 4 Mar 2021 18:25

This person would be my second cousin if it was correct.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Mar 2021 23:57

2nd cousin ? That's not very distant, so would mean that your parents were cousins and you share the same great grandparent.

If her tree is correct, you will share many names on it, but it shouldn't be too hard to track back to that mutual ancestor, although I've known people add huge chunks of someone else's tree, because they have followed the wrong lead or more often copied the information from other trees.

They say it must be 'correct', because so many people have the same information !

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Mar 2021 14:48

I've just come across one with OVER 124000 in it!

I've just topped that myself by scrolling on down the list -OVER 132000

Island

Island Report 5 Mar 2021 16:01

That's a lot of christmas cards to send :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 5 Mar 2021 18:47

I am neglecting myself - I only have 1410 on my tree as I have not yet entered all of the siblings and information I have in handwritten notes.

Note to self: must get cracking! :-S

Island

Island Report 5 Mar 2021 18:59

Joy, that's 1410 more than me - on GR that is.
I've mislaid my FH disc so I'm using excel, oh what fun when I find that disc :-0

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 5 Mar 2021 19:03

Island. :-D

It is the tree I keep on my OH's Ancestry site.

I began with GR before he was an Ancestry member but I am pretty sure I won't have as many people on my GR FT as I gave up on it once OH joined Ancestry. I think I am, basically, a lazybones at heart.

I hope you find the disc!