General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Early Birthday Present

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 3 Mar 2021 21:12

Our Daughter popped round last night to deliver an early birthday present.

.She brought us a couple of dozen oysters from Streaky Bay in South Australia. These were not the bog standard open oysters as found in retail outlets and they needed shucking :-0

A quick chat with Mr Google, and the use of a hammer and screwdriver, proved that we did not have to purchase a shucking knife.

These were the biggest and juiciest oysters that I have ever eaten and even my wife had three or four, notwithstanding an incident in 2018 which left her extremely ill and vowing never to touch oysters again :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Mar 2021 21:54

They sound delicious, and good for your wife, glad that she had no problems.

One of the oysters must have been just slightly off that previous time. I had a run-in with shrimp that I ate at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco many years ago ........... my face had broken out in hives by the time I got back to the hotel after dinner. Luckily it didn't get any worse, and had mainly disappeared by next morning, but it put me off shrimp for a couple of years ............ until friends turned up with shrimp they had just bought off a fishing boat at the ferry landing.

I felt I couldn't refuse to try just one.

Sure enough I was fine, and have had no trouble since ......... one the shrimp in that previous dinner had been "off".

I've never been able to swallow raw oysters .......... but can remember many times collecting oysters on the beach, taking them back to the cabin where 10 of us were staying, and then boiling or frying them.

Deeeeeeee-licious. A completely different flavour to the usual bought ones.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Mar 2021 21:54

Happy Birthday ....... when it comes around!

Allan

Allan Report 3 Mar 2021 22:27

Thanks, Sylvia, first OH's and then mine the week after. Just have to have my eye surgery tomorrow (Friday) which is the only dampener on the festivities.

Just waiting for a phone call later today telling me what tine I have to rock up at the hospital.

This is the surgery I should have had at the beginning of last month, but unfortunately we were put into lockdown due to a case of Covid

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Mar 2021 23:11

Great that you and your OH could enjoy an early birthday treat, Allan.

I hope the eye surgery goes well and you make a quick recovery. We'll miss you on the boards, while you are healing.

Allan

Allan Report 3 Mar 2021 23:16

Thank you, Gwyn

The Surgeon said to me that it's only a ten minute operation. What he didn't tell me about was the two-hour preparation beforehand :-|

Also the hospital is in Busselton, which is about an hour away, not the local Bunbury one

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Mar 2021 02:55

Allan ........

be sure to take a pair of sunglasses with you to wear on the way home.

I found the light quite blinding when I had that op ...... and it was a rainy day in October!! Car headlights were particularly difficult.

Good luck ............... it'll be fine, and you will be fine!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 4 Mar 2021 04:29

Good luck for the op Allan.

Lizx

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Mar 2021 07:53

I second that, Allan, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Allan

Allan Report 4 Mar 2021 08:57

Thank you all.

I'm due at the hospital at 7.00am so will not be on here .

Apparently I'm the third in line for the op so hopefully there will be no delays and should be on my way back home just after 10.00am, unless my OH decides to leave me there :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Mar 2021 09:23

She'll need you in overnight, Allan. :-0

First day for clothes shopping,

Second day for taking it all back. :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 4 Mar 2021 09:30

Hello Allan good luck with your op Tommorow soon be over with x as for Oysters Uck not my choice to eat Barbara ;-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 4 Mar 2021 15:14

Good luck Allan, hope all goes well <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Mar 2021 16:15

Good luck Allan! <3 <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Mar 2021 17:49

I fund the recovery room chairs very comfortable ...... you could always sleep there ;-)

Hope all went well.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 4 Mar 2021 18:17

Dear Allan

Hello

Hope everything goes well and that you are back on GR posting soon.

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 4 Mar 2021 19:38

Hope your op goes well Allan :-)