General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bit of a coupe.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Mar 2021 15:20

Because neither of is is up to (both too bloody idle to) dig the garden, we have long considered buying one of those plant trugs on legs in which to grow (kill) veg and things but the ones we have seen have been extremely expensive and something to save up for in the future.

Also, being class incarnate, I have always bought my clothes from a catalogue. I had not bought any for a long time and have been wearing the plague wear set for the last year anyway o they have been doing their usual trick of sending me more and or tempting discount codes. We were up to thirty per cent with free delivery, expecting me to buy some new knicker or something.

They have a home and garden section which I was idly perusing when I came upon a slightly smaller planter at about half the price of the one we were considering AND the discount code applied to it.

So, I have ordered two of these slightly smaller ones, which I can't really afford but it will give me chance to do sessional killing of vegetation and keep me occupied for hours although I doubt we will get to eat much out of it, you never know.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Mar 2021 16:39

Is that a 'his' and 'hers' or will you be in charge of both of them?

What are you planning for the first crop?

Island

Island Report 5 Mar 2021 16:47

Think of the veg you could have bought instead of shelling out for something you won't use. :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Mar 2021 17:13

I will use it, I think.

If I don't, it will give Jacky Milburn an elevated dirt box.

In the past, before I lost the plot, I have grown things in big plant pots with some success and have been wanting one or two of these for a long time.I just need to learn how to not kill!

I will be management with some physical input in that I would not let him have one to himself!

It will be a start, I hope and, this year it will have to be leafy, salady stuff and maybe a bit of chard but who knows where this may lead? Neighbour's wood burner probably.

Ron2

Ron2 Report 5 Mar 2021 17:55

I usually grow spuds, 2 types of beans and carrots in old patio tubs plus the usual tom's in pots. 20 spud boxes already lined up with some aggregate in bottom. Use same soil year in year out but augmented with chicken pellets, any other fertilizer I fancy and compost from my compost bin and of late banana skins. Have a builders bag full of soil ready to use.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 5 Mar 2021 18:49

Like Ron2 we grow beans (both runner and french variety) cucumbers and tomatoes in large pots. We did try carrots but had no success . Good luck .

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Mar 2021 19:15

I was thinking of putting a few runner in the ground and maybe a marrow on the compost heap.

Annx

Annx Report 5 Mar 2021 20:15

Yes do that with a marrow Sharon. Last year we dismantled the concrete sides of 2 raised boxes we had (the corner posts had splayed over the years and they were collapsing). We considering pots or raised boxes instead too, then Covid struck! We were about to remove all the soil and rubble underneath the soil where the boxes had been, then I decided to grow and plant 3 round courgettes on top of the mound of soil instead. Well what a success they were as we couldn't eat them as fast as they grew, so I froze some! I am trying runners in a pot this year as well.

I grew french beans in pots last year too, but the carrots and beetroot in pots were too close together so didn't do so well. I grew tomatoes in the greenhouse and a great success in there too was mini cucumbers in a cheap round black plastic tub we had that was earmarked for the tip. We had so many off the 3 plants I put in the tub we are still eating ones I pickled. I tried something new with the surplus tomatoes too that I shall do again. Instead of all the blanching and skinning faff, just wash them and liquidise them whole to make portions of sauce to freeze. Delicious with lamb mince for lasagne or with diced veg added to go with rice.

Like Ron2 I also re-use the soil every year and just add whatever fertiliser I have with any co mpost from old pot plantsand sometimes I drench what pots are in the greenhouse with Jeyes Fluid.

You can grow tomatoes in those small polythene greenhouses that are just big enough for the plants. Good luck!